Finally

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In about 2011 when the Aussie dollar was at parity with the US dollar I started thinking about importing a 228. Didn’t happen then. Then the Aussie dollar dropped, so started to search in Australia. But a well-kept 228 over here under AUD$100,000 were rare.

A couple of months ago I got sick of waiting. I started looking to import from the US again. I found a boat I was interested in, but when I contacted the seller he didn’t want the hassle of selling internationally. Luckily the company I am importing through has a US contact so he carried out all negotiations. An extra US$600 broker’s fee but worth it.

The seller is selling to buy a 2019-2020 228. That will be his third.

It’s a 2006 with a 12/05 Yamaha 250hp 1400 hrs. Lower unit new 2019(mild external corrosion). Mid-engine replaced as a preventative measure due to the Yamaha exhaust corrosion problem. All service records. Services carried out at Grady White dealer. The outboard motor housing was repainted and re-decaled recently.

The clears are new. The upholstery on the helm and passengers seat has just been replaced.
The rest of the upholstery looks as new.

Electronics include 10.4” Furuno NAVnet VX2 C-map NT Max radar/chartplotter/color video sounder.
Uniden ES UM625c DSC VHF radio.
Uniden submersible handheld VHF radio.
All safety equipment.

The comprehensive 7-page marine survey report (not including photos) was better than I could have hoped for.

From the report:

“Work items marked with an asterisk * are those I feel should be accomplished/corrected to meet underwriter’s requirements. Most of these recommendations are based on applicable C.F.R. regulations and A.B.Y.C. voluntary standards in effect at the time of the boat’s construction. Note that there is only one item marked with an asterisk in this report.”

*Fire extinguisher out of date.

“The general condition of this boat is very good to excellent. In most respects it shows as well as a new boat. It appears to have been particularly well maintained.”

“This is a top dollar boat and the valuation I gave it reflects this.“

The only downside is it is bottom painted but I can live with that, for awhile anyway.

I got very lucky. The day after we put a deposit down, someone offered US$5000 above the asking price but the seller honoured our agreement.

All paid for. Now I have a six weeks wait. 2 weeks for the Load Rite trailer, then 4 weeks in transit to Australia.

It’s been a long time coming. It’s going to be a big step up in comfort after owning a couple of aluminium centre consoles. 16 and 18 feet.

The import process added about a third to the purchase price. Which would be about the same price or a bit more IF I had found the same boat in Australia. That is a big IF.

Now I just have to wait. It’s going to be a long 6 weeks.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here are some photos taken by the marine surveyor.
Will add cockpit bolsters straight away.
Maybe a bow pulpit down the track to keep the anchor away from the hull.
As well as fishing I am looking at overnighting at Lady Musgrave Island and Fitzroy Lagoon on the southern Great Barrier Reef.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 62

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats, great boat good luck with it.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Awesome! So cannot wait for you to get it and post a video of you catching fish!;)

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the club, I hope all goes well with the importation. I see more GW's in Sydney every day , when I got my first I only knew of two more 228 's here .
I bought my second 228 in FL several months ago, got her home last March , complied and registered the trailer but I swapped trailers with my old 228 because I had a heavy duty trailer built in FL in 2012 with S/S brakes and heavy duty axles so I kept that for my new boat. I sold mine very quick the week after the election , only on the market for 3 weeks.
I bought the previous 228 when our $ was worth $1.05 US, I installed a new 250 Merc as soon as I got her and even made a profit selling her after 6 years ownership .
They hold their value here just like they do in USA if not more . A new one here is $180 k.
The first pic is the old boat , Bottom pic is the new boat in Florida

If you need any help with complying the trailer or anything else shoot me a pm and I'll try to help.

Attachments

• Grady White sale 056.JPG
    Grady White sale 056.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 2013 Grady 75.jpg
    2013 Grady 75.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the club, I hope all goes well with the importation. I see more GW's in Sydney every day , when I got my first I only new of two more 228 's here .
I bought my second 228 in FL several months ago, got her home last March , complied and registered the trailer but I swapped trailers with my old 228 because I had a heavy duty trailer built in FL in 2012 with S/S brakes and heavy duty axles so I kept that for my new boat. I sold mine very quick the week after the election , only on the market for 3 weeks.
I bought the previous 228 when our $ was worth $1.05 US, I installed a new 250 Merc as soon as I got her and even made a profit selling her after 6 years ownership .
They hold their value here just like they do in USA if not more . A new one here is $180 k.
The first pic is the old boat , Bottom pic is the new boat in Florida

If you need any help with complying the trailer or anything else shoot me a pm and I'll try to help.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I remember when you imported your first 228 and also another member from Sydney (Dobson C) imported a 2001 back when the Aussie dollar was strong. It inspired me to do the same. Just took me quite a few years to do it.

With your new boat did the take the hardtop off? Originally I was looking at another 228 which had just a VHF aerial on the hardtop so was quoted shipping with hardtop off. This boat has radar dome, gps aerial, spot light, loud speaker, VHF aerial and led cockpit lightS so decided to just take the radar dome off. Waiting on an updated quote. Much easier for me if not dismantled.

Trailer all sorted. Been very easy so far. The importer is handling most things. I just transfer money when required. I don’t think I would like the stress of doing it myself. I wouldn’t have got this boat if I had.

I contacted Grady White on a price on cockpit bolsters. They don’t do cushions or bolsters on boats over 10 years old. Surely cockpit bolsters wouldn’t be year specific.

Not a problem as the Grady dealer here has given me contact details for a marine upholsterer who does their Grady’s. Looks like OEM.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Contact Wise, think they supplied seats and bolsters for Grady. Send an email to krudolphi@wiseseats.com and tell her what you're looking for. Include boat model and year. Hopefully they can help. They have generic bolsters on their website, but I would try for Grady specific.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Whatever you do don't take the hardtop off. The $$ you will save on shipping you will spend taking if off and replacing it and could even damage the boat.
I don't know the port charges in Brisbane but should be similar to Port Kembla , if that's so all up should be less than $10 k US including USA land transport, shrink-wrap, fumigating and Brisbane port , quarantine etc...plus 10% GST on all charges including sea transport . I also took marine insurance for this boat as it was big $$$.
Someone will still have to comply the trailer here in AU.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Whatever you do don't take the hardtop off. The $$ you will save on shipping you will spend taking if off and replacing it and could even damage the boat.
I don't know the port charges in Brisbane but should be similar to Port Kembla , if that's so all up should be less than $10 k US including USA land transport, shrink-wrap, fumigating and Brisbane port , quarantine etc...plus 10% GST on all charges including sea transport . I also took marine insurance for this boat as it was big $$$.
Someone will still have to comply the trailer here in AU.
Hardtop staying on. Got marine insurance. With the hardtop on, the shipping, USA transport, cleaning, shrink-wrap etc. looks to be a bit less than USD $10k. Got a good deal on the trailer. The importer is the Australian distributor for Load Rite. 6 x alloy wheels (2 spares) stainless steel brakes and brake lines. Much cheaper upgrade than what is on the Load Rite site. Less than half the website price. Booked to ship out on the 27th. Should be here end of August.

Reactions: Zebulon

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Boat looks like it is brand new - congratulations the ride between what you have now will be night and day!

Reactions: Zebulon