Finally!!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for that info,I'll see how it works out for my boat and decide whether I need to reprop.
If you ever do need prop advice, everyone always recommends calling Ken at Prop Gods. I've admittedly never called him or had a prop issues before, but I've heard nothing but great things about him.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I actually emailed Grady White a little over a year ago and asked them for the performance data on my boat as I've got a 228 Seafarer and a Yamaha F225, of which they sent this to me. Yours should definitely be a bit better on a 208 Adventure since it's a lighter boat.

You can also go to the below website, which they still have some of the performance data up from the old 208 Adventure's but they don't have it for an F225. They do have it for a F200 as well as an F250, so I'd figure your numbers should probably be somewhere in between the two.

GW 228 Seafarer Performance Data with F225.jpeg
I see that Grady ran a 13 3/4 X 17 prop for that test. That explains a lot about the RPMs that I'm getting with a 15 1/4 dia.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I see that Grady ran a 13 3/4 X 17 prop for that test. That explains a lot about the RPMs that I'm getting with a 15 1/4 dia.
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. I looked at the prop on my boat but I didn't see any numbers on it, and I've been too lazy to take it off to do anything with it, though it's obviously a 3 blade and stainless steel. Mine was getting about 41-42 mph top speed in pretty decent conditions with about a half tank of fuel, maybe a little more. I definitely think it's a 45 mph boat WOT in better than just average conditions, propped correctly and with not a ton of extra weight on board. I enjoy going fast in cars where you can slow down or stop quite easily, but it's a little bit different for me on the water with going fast since it burns up a ton of fuel and there are partially submerged logs, marine life and so forth. I have no issue at all going 20-25 mph and just taking my time. I think the F250-F300, or any other 250-300 for that matter are probably the better option if you want to go faster, or if for some reason you need a 50+ mph boat. I'm completely fine with what I've currently got, though if I ever do need to re-power I think I'll be looking at a Suzuki 250 first.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
No,,, went 3rd hole. Ran it today and saw 5800 rpm, 44 mph against the current with full enclosure going into the wind. Turn around and coming back with wind and current, full enclosure, 5900 and 51mph.
3 blade Yamaha SS prop. 15 1/2 x 17.
Hi John ,
Is that speed over ground? If so it explains the big difference in 100 RPM. I'm thinking of raising mine one hole, currently on second. The reason I haven't is the fact that I mostly travel offshore in the rough Pacific. I'm mostly heavily loaded with gear and 3 or four anglers.
Enjoy your new engine, when you go DTS you never go back on cable controls.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the same boat and year as Mustang65 but with a 250 Suzk - fly by wire and a four blade prop. The four blade was chosen by the place it got repowered. I recall asking about three verses four but that is what they decided on.

I think I have gone over 35 mph once at maybe 4,000 rpm but like mustang65 we go between 20-25 and need to look out for things in the water. Besides it's safer to take it slow for safety and to look at nature out there. Whats the rush!!.

sturg.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ken looked at my numbers and told be my 3-blades were "slipping" and inefficient. Dropped 2" of pitch and went to 4-blade props. Significantly improved my midrange and in my case I didn't loose any top end. Game changer for me.

Top speed is all testosterone. Prop for how you use the boat. I'll bet those 4-blade props significantly improved you're mid-range where most boat owners need it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the same boat and year as Mustang65 but with a 250 Suzk - fly by wire and a four blade prop. The four blade was chosen by the place it got repowered. I recall asking about three verses four but that is what they decided on.

I think I have gone over 35 mph once at maybe 4,000 rpm but like mustang65 we go between 20-25 and need to look out for things in the water. Besides it's safer to take it slow for safety and to look at nature out there. Whats the rush!!.

sturg.
I'm always about trying to be cautious and paying attention while out on the water, even in the areas I've been boating in for over 30 years, but I think the biggest thing is the fuel costs. Last summer it was up near $6 / gal for fuel up here in the Seattle area and I wasn't wanting to just blow through a bunch of gasoline to go a little bit faster. On my boat, the fuel gauge usually says around 8-9 gph when you're going 25 mph or so, but when you bump it up to 40 mph, it's usually around 20 gph. I'm sure a different prop might make a bit of a difference, but goodness, burning an extra 10 gph of fuel just isn't worth it imo to go a little faster. I'm not sure how accurate the fuel gauge is, but that's what it says, and I'd rather take a little extra time to get where I'm going as I'm typically never in a rush.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi John ,
Is that speed over ground? If so it explains the big difference in 100 RPM. I'm thinking of raising mine one hole, currently on second. The reason I haven't is the fact that I mostly travel offshore in the rough Pacific. I'm mostly heavily loaded with gear and 3 or four anglers.
Enjoy your new engine, when you go DTS you never go back on cable controls.
Hey Jerry,

Yep, GPS SOG. There were a world of variables involved when I ran it. Heavy wind, fast current in the canal from DNR pulling water because of heavy rain upstate, full enclosure up for chilly temperatures. Wasn't able to run at speed out in the lake due to the wind and waves. I was mainly interested in the performance of the Yamaha 3 blade prop. I had kept my 4 blade PowerTech prop to put on just incase the 3 blade didn't perform like I wanted. I have been running my F225 in the third hole and had no complaints with performance, so I had them mount the new motor in the same location. I'm stern heavy anyway since I have 4 batteries on board so having motor in 3rd hole works for me. So far, I'm happy with performance of the 3 blade prop. I'll run it this summer and see how it goes. I'm not looking for a speedboat, just reporting on my findings. I vary rarely will run it WOT, but it's nice to know what it will do, all dependent on conditions.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Sweet setup! I bet that platform let's you get at the motor even in the water.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Jerry,

Yep, GPS SOG. There were a world of variables involved when I ran it. Heavy wind, fast current in the canal from DNR pulling water because of heavy rain upstate, full enclosure up for chilly temperatures. Wasn't able to run at speed out in the lake due to the wind and waves. I was mainly interested in the performance of the Yamaha 3 blade prop. I had kept my 4 blade PowerTech prop to put on just incase the 3 blade didn't perform like I wanted. I have been running my F225 in the third hole and had no complaints with performance, so I had them mount the new motor in the same location. I'm stern heavy anyway since I have 4 batteries on board so having motor in 3rd hole works for me. So far, I'm happy with performance of the 3 blade prop. I'll run it this summer and see how it goes. I'm not looking for a speedboat, just reporting on my findings. I vary rarely will run it WOT, but it's nice to know what it will do, all dependent on conditions.
I'm kind of curious now about how much it raises up the engine. I believe mine is bolted through the second hole, any idea if raising it up will have the entire motor sit out of the water? When I have my boat on the buoy during the summer, even with the motor tilted all the way up the skeg will still be partially in the water, or it will bounce back and forth. I wonder if raising it up would avoid that happening...