Finest Kind on the troll

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Hot Striper bite at the Shrewsbury Rocks (NJ) this spring, here are some pics my buddy took while I was there trolling on 5/16/10.

Note Finest Kind is stripe-less this Spring:
FKonthetroll.jpg

FKcominatya.jpg

Here is what the screen looked like just before both rods trolling the stretch 25 plugs went off:
marksaplenty.jpg

Upgrade to Finest Kind this spring includes the Garmin autopilot, note the zig-zag pattern is engaged, which is perfect for trolling solo. I can man the rods and adjust the spread while the pilot steers an enticing pattern:
APonzigzagtroll.jpg

Finest Kind

Reaction score
cdwood said:
How far south do you go. I go out of BI, but I get up as far ortley/lavalette.

If you go just a few miles further north, try the Mantoloking pipe, great structure to fish. You will see it on a chart, it extends straight out from the beach out to 70 foot dephts. When you get there you will see it on your fishfinder, it comes up off the bottom a good 3 feet or so and always has tons of bait on it, and is a great spot for trolling or anchoring up and chunking stripers/blues.

We do head south quite a bit and have had some great striper fishing off the old Thunderbird, off the Seaside Pier, and off the old Windows on the Water resturant especially in the fall. Spring I tend to head north out of Manasquan, seems to be more schools of bunker up there.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a far ride to Schrewsbery from BI, I'm not sure the ride is worth it. Last Spring we had huge bunker pods by Spring Lake, Asbury and the rocks.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Grog said:
It's a far ride to Schrewsbery from BI, I'm not sure the ride is worth it. Last Spring we had huge bunker pods by Spring Lake, Asbury and the rocks.

Agreed, I usually work the closer areas before running that far for Stripers, but The Rocks is where the hot bite has been lately.

It's about 15 miles to the Schrewsbury Rocks from Manasquan, and its' what, 7 miles from Barnegat inlet to Manasquan?
So going 22 miles or so FOR STRIPERS is a lot when there are plenty of closer spots...

But when Tuna season comes later this year lets hope that we can find em ONLY 20 miles or so from our inlets!

Last year the Glory Hole (40 to 50 miles) was hot from mid July right through Oct and the closer spots like Monster Ledge never really produced a consistent bite.