Finished Electronics Flush Mount

Greyduk

Reaction score
I finally got the electronics panel mounted in The GW 223. All I have left is to install the transducer and hook it up. I will be able to do that this weekend when I put it on the trailer. Also installed a completely new brake system on the trailer. I need to bleed it in the next day or two. Glad to have made progress on some of the bigger things.

Attachments

• Panel 1.jpg
    Panel 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 757
  • Panel 2.jpg
    Panel 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 757
  • Panel 3.jpg
    Panel 3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 756
Reactions: Caymangold

Ozz043

Reaction score
Good job, nice and neat
I got one made for my Marlin but the template was not perfect...though in reality it is fine I am a tad disappointed as it does not fit the profile perfectly like yours

Greyduk

Reaction score
AM, I have been out of pocket for a few days. That is 1/2" starboard. I had it made by Deep Blue Marine. I think they used a 1/4" round over bit. I made a template of what I wanted and sent it to them. If it had just been the starboard without the door, I probably would have attempted it myself. But with the door being incorporated I wanted someone with the expertise and equipment to do it. I am very pleased with how it turned out. So far I am very happy with the Garmin unit. I have used Lowrance equipment since the days of the "green boxes", but I had several unpleasant experiences with Lowrance so I have bought my last one from them.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I like my new Garmin echo 94sv also. Also liked the closeout pricing since they came out with the echo plus (with touch screen). Didn't want touch screen anyways.
You can use the free Garmin software to type in all your waypoints on your computer and load them using an SD card. Later you can transfer them from the unit back to the computer to save.
I was able to put the same waypoints onto both of my Garmins. Absolutely love being able to do all the data entry on the computer instead of thru the unit's Menus and buttons.

I didn't flush mount anything cuz I like using that space as a cubby for cell phones, sunglasses, and bags of chips.

I've done a 1/2" starboard dash before and it really is easy. Woodworking tools work fine.
Use a table saw with plywood (fine tooth) blade for clean straight outside cuts.
When drilling be careful , clamp the piece because they make curlys and the bits grab at the end.
1/4" round off router bit.

Inside cuts can be done by drilling corners and using a jigsaw IF THE CUT WILL BE HIDDEN by the overlapping flange of whatever you mount in the hole.
For a clean inside cut like that door in the pix, you need to use a router and template.

Hole saw bits tend to melt the starboard

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Greyduk: That came out really nice. I assume your installer is in Alabama, consistent with your signature?

Thanks, Rob

Greyduk

Reaction score
Wahoo, I'm sorry I just saw your post to this thread. I was/am the installer. It only required 4 screws to hold it in place. Really very simple. I originally had an acrylic door which lifted up to give access to the box. The boat came to me with a Furuno DF/GPS which did not work. I wanted to flush mount the Garmin to give a more modern and custom appearance, so the starboard panel with the door cut in was my solution. Terry at Deep Blue Marine was very helpful and easy to work with and very reasonable also. Deep Blue Marine is in Tarpon Springs, FL. They make a lot of starboard accessories for boat so I called them and they were willing to make the panel for me.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Very nice appearance.

May I ask why you didn't flush mount the radio? Seems you have to leave the door down to be able to monitor the radio.

Greyduk

Reaction score
The majority of the time I use the boat on a lake where I don't need a VHF radio. Also I wanted to use a portion of the electronics box to store cell phones and keys Etc.