Fire Extinguishers

seasick

Reaction score
I always check my signal devices such as flares for expiration dates but if I read the news latest, the Coast Guard has modified the fire extinguisher regs for recreation boats.
If I read them correctly, your fire extinguishers must not be more than 12 years old. That sounds like a long time but when I checked the half dozen extinguishers I have spread among two boats, a shed, a locker etc., all were out of date: The year of manufacturer is stamped on the bottom of the extinguisher. All the expired units have a good charge and I will keep some as backups but I did pick up a few new ones last week.

Reactions: ElyseM and Ryhlick

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I think thats been the rule all along. Its a rule on land anyways. I've been replacing mine based on the date code since I've owned boats. I have a few on the wall of my garage from years ago.

Its a good idea to invert them a few times beginning the season. If they never move for 10 years the powder can compact on the bottom...or so I was told in the Navy 35 years ago.

seasick

Reaction score
I think thats been the rule all along. Its a rule on land anyways. I've been replacing mine based on the date code since I've owned boats. I have a few on the wall of my garage from years ago.

Its a good idea to invert them a few times beginning the season. If they never move for 10 years the powder can compact on the bottom...or so I was told in the Navy 35 years ago.
I am pretty sure the age is a new thing. For boats under a certain length, there was no expiration day.
I was told by an old salt that I should not just turn the extinguisher over a few times but should invert it and tap it with a hammer ( preferable soft faced) to break up any clumps

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
there was a rule in my head about the tank dates... I have C.R.S. so I can't tell you where I got that from... probably the Navy

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thats a 5 year change out in my book. Then I rotate to the kitchen and get rid of the ones they are replacing. Short money.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a dozen 5 lb extinguishers mounted outside around my storage facility. Boat extuingsher is the same type only smaller. There are inspected and tagged every year. I'm not sure what they do for the inspection each year. After 5 years they should be emptied and refilled or replaced. Cost is about the same so I usually replace them.