First Grady 30Marlin

ReelRemedy

Reaction score
Hi Guys
This is my first time on this site as I just became a Grady owner this past month. I have a 1999 30 Marlin with twin 250hp OX66. The boat is very clean and runs excellent. I just had my mechanic do a full service on both motors fuel injection systems and pumps and planning on doing alot of cruising and fishing in the years to come. I'm planning my first trip next week from Cold Spring Harbor to Montauk where I plan on some in shore fishing and if weather permitting head a little further offshore for one day trip if the fish are still around. I have some questions for anyone that has knowledge of this particular model. I looked in the owners manual to answer some of these questions but there was no info.

First is about fuel consumption. I know these are thirsty motors as I had them on my 2870 Pursuit but this Marlin seems heavier? what kind of range should I expect with this setup?

Fuel tanks look to be twin 150gal one forward and one aft? also which fuel fill cap is for which tank?

Do both motors run on both tanks at the same time or do they pull from the same tank and then you can switch via the valve system in the aft compartment.

Speaking of aft compartment I removed the caulking from the rear floor panel to get better access to the chargers and thru hulls. this seems like a bad design as I see they addressed this issue with the newer models and made it a hinge panel. did anyone make a custom setup that they would like to share if so any pictures?

Finally how does this boat handle the open water? I have been using the boat locally and find that it eats up the tight 2'-3'chop we have here on the north shore and is very dry. Any info on running sweet spots for this model and motors?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great boat you will love it. Okay fuel fillers: Forward is Main tank and aft is Aux. Engines run on what ever tank you have selected.Most Marlin guys run both engines on the same tank, some guys say to run the aux tank down first, to be honest I run my marlin pretty heavy with ice/drinks/gear/etc and have not noticed a significant difference running main down or Aux down first.
I did modify my back deck to get better access to fuel water separators and bilge area. Send me your email address and/or email me and I can send you the pictures of the access hatch I added to my Marlin.
My email address is: g0tagrip33@gmail.com

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Congrats on the Marlin purchase. You are most likely getting just under one statute mile per gallon of fuel at 3800 RPM with both fuel tanks filled. Prior to repowering my Marlin , I Ran the same motors, Your motors are very forgiving but love to drink fuel. I have been to Block Canyon (85 miles south of Montauk). The motors were never shut down and on a 24 hour trip I burned about 170 gal. of fuel. Refueled at Montauk before returning to CT.

Since both tanks are extremely close in capacity, I usually run the rear tank down to 25 gallons then switch to the front tank. The boat seems to ride better.

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on the Marlin, have been wanting one for a while but will wait till I move to warmer climate to get one. If the Marlin rides anything like my Seafarer in 1-2 footers you will be happy with what you want to do.

ReelRemedy

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what king of fuel consumption you getting out of those E-Tech motors and @ what RPM/speed. I didn't run this boat enough to see where the sweet spot is for my OX66 but I assume it will be around that 3600-3800 RPM range?

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm subscribed to this post. I just bought the same set up. P/O said about 25 gal/hr at 38-40rmpm cruise. Supposed to be 600 hours or less on the engines... I've had them before they are pretty easy to maintain. I'm going to check what is the best set up with "propgods.com" it seems there are a lot of boats over pithed!