First Grady, Winterizing question

kahuna28748

Reaction score
Greetings All,
Last October after many months of research I get my first boat, a 2004 GW Tournament 225 with a 225 Yamaha with 120 hours. When i bought the boat i had it inspected by a marine surveyor who found corrosion issues in the engine. Long story short the seller repairs the motor under supervision of my marine surveyor. Fill it up, treat the gas good to go right? Wrong, lol, water in the fuel, drain the tank replace the fuel filters boat runs like a top. My question is this, last year I had the boat winterized and replace the thermostats, impeller, spark plugs, water separator . This year my mechanic is telling me to get oil filter, O-ring for the VST and two new fuel filters. Anything else? Spark plugs? thermostats every year? Any thing else I should be thinking of? I get tons of great advice reading all your posts and just wondering if there is anything else i should be thinking of. For info sake i run it in the Long Island sound and put about 140 hours on it this summer.
One other question, I was thinking right before the end of the season taking it up to the lake house, running it through fresh water for a couple of days running the gas down as far as i can get it and filling it up for the season with 91 Octane ethanol free gas, any ideas? some people think its a waste of time , others think its a great idea.
Thanks again, I look forward to hearing your advice.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would say you should stick with the 100 hour service schedule for your Yamaha. You don't need new thermos or an impeller . Fill up the tank with non-ethanol and throw in some Stabil Marine and the engine should be fine. Make sure there is no water in your on-board lines that can expand when frozen. Some folks piratically rebuild their engine for winterizing and some (like me) do just about nothing, other than putting the batteries on a trickle charge and treating the fuel system.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Dave. Do the 100 hour per your engine manual. In addition, if not already noted in your engine manual, I would most definitely change fuel water separators every 100 hours. However Yamaha says change them every 50 hours. If your are using non ethanol fuel I would go to 100 hours. I sure hope you are using Ring Free in your fuel also.

kahuna28748

Reaction score
Thanks so much, I am using Sta-bil EVERY time i gas up now, should i use Ring Free as well?

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
It might be my favorite recommendation because the former owner of our boat had similar watered-fuel issues before we purchased . . .

But while you're going through it all for the winter make sure you have fresh, lightly greased o-rings on your fuel filler caps. Because if you don't, like our boat was purchased without, it provides a direct route for water where there isn't adequate seal of the fuel fill cap directly into the tank.

We haven't gotten to 140 hours yet, but we'll get there before early November!

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Sharkbait282 said:
It might be my favorite recommendation because the former owner of our boat had similar watered-fuel issues before we purchased . . .

But while you're going through it all for the winter make sure you have fresh, lightly greased o-rings on your fuel filler caps. Because if you don't, like our boat was purchased without, it provides a direct route for water where there isn't adequate seal of the fuel fill cap directly into the tank.

We haven't gotten to 140 hours yet, but we'll get there before early November!

Great advice. My 2007 Boat Had dry, Cracked O rings. It is worth a quick look.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ring - Free as well as either Sta-Bil or (personal preference here) PRI-G.

Drain the freshwater tank.

Pull the prop...grease the shaft....reinstall.

Fill the fuel tank.

Remove the batteries and put them in your basement or somewhere else that stays reasonably warm. Charge them once a month or so. Don't forget to check and add distilled water (unless they are sealed.)

Remove cushions, life visits and anything else and store for the winter. Open all hatches so they can air out.

Wash and wax.

Cover securely or shrink wrap, depending on your preference.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The saltwater pumps and fresh water system have to be drained and or treated with pink anti freeze. If you have a windshield washer be sure to pump some anti freeze through that line to. Good luck

kahuna28748

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for all your help, I get so much great advice just scrolling through all these threads! I really appreciate it!