First GW 283 Release

tinman283

Reaction score
Hello fellow GW owners--We just purchased a 2007 283 release and would be interested hearing from other 283 owners who might care to share some tips with us. It is our first GW--stepping up from an Angler 22 cuddy walk.Thanx in advance--tinman283

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tinman283
I have two summers under my belt with my 283 and have been 95% satisfied. The 5% dissatisfied is because of the lack of access to the rear float switch and bilge pump. This is the only equipment I have had a problem with so I do not know what kind of access I will have to other equipment.
I have 250's and the boat runs like a race horse when I want to go fast and can be trimmed to 2 MPG at the end of the month and my allowance is running out.
You are going to love it.
I'm short on time now but if you have any questions, let me know.
Ed

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
tinman283 said:
Hello fellow GW owners--We just purchased a 2007 283 release and would be interested hearing from other 283 owners who might care to share some tips with us. It is our first GW--stepping up from an Angler 22 cuddy walk.Thanx in advance--tinman283

I have a 2009 283 and also love it. I traded my 282 Sailfish in and went with the center console. I don't miss the cabin at all. I've been out to the canyon multiple times, done raftups, lots of daytrips sight seeing as well. I love my boat It's the perfect size. I fish it very comfortable by my self or with a full crew.
I have 250's and as Lundenroof said It gets upto 2.0 mpg. My sailfish barely got 1.8. But it will burn fuel if you hit the higher speeds. I've added a bunch of accessories for fishing. Plenty of room for electronics. The electric box holds 2 12" displays. Any questions you have I too would be happy to answer as well.

Bob

Blackbird

Reaction score
I have an 2005 283 with the 250's and am in full agreement with Lundinroof. The valves are a pain to get to. However, compared to faults with other boats, this is relatively minor. Another problem I ran into was for the rods that open/close the valves to operate the head. Carbon steel ball joints were used on the valve handles and naturally, they rusted. If you think the live well and wash down valves are a pain, try manually actuating the head valves without the rods. Other than these criticisms, I am very happy with the boat. It has performed beyond my expectations. If I was going to replace it tomorrow, I would buy exactly the same boat. I'm happy to pass along any thing I have learned. Good Luck

Regards,

tinman283

Reaction score
Ed, Thanx for your input. I'll check on the bilge pumps later today to be sure things are OK.The weather has turned cold in RI this week so no launch this year yet.I have a lot to learn about the 283. Good day to you Sir--tinman283