First problem with motor today

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the kids out tuning today and all was fine until the end of the day, the motor (suzuki DT 140 outboard) acted up. Basically, it seemed starved for fuel. The motor would start then as soon as I gave it throttle, it would start to go, then bog down and cut out. Sometimes if I waited a while longer it would stay running a bit longer at low speed, then the same thing. After about an our of creeping in like that, we finally got a short tow to the dock.

I suspect a few things but would like some input.

I will first check the fuel filter. I have not changed it since
i bought the boat 1 year ago and I`m not sure when the previous owner changed it.

Next would be clogged injectors or fuel pump.

The gas could be part of the problem, or more so stirred up tank sediment. We were doing some back and forth tubing and maybe it stirred something up in the tank. I was planning on replacing the tank next year.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

T

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the obvious things first. Fuel/water separator, fuel filter, would be one of the first things to check. Lots of crappy fuel out there these days. You should change these seasonally. Many engines have a "slow" mode they will go in to if overheating, fuel or oil blockage, etc.. If you remove fuel/water separator, pour contents into clean container, and see if there is water present.
Be sure to look at connections too. Sometimes a loose connection will appear to be a fuel issue.
When engine bogs down, is fuel line ball hard or soft? Firm or collapsed? If collapsed, it could indicate a blockage prior to the ball, if firm could indicate blockage between ball and engine.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Check the squeeze bulb exactly the time it acts up, if it's full shaped, no problem upstream (on boat side of bulb).

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
motor problem

Just did some cheking. I think it might be a blockage, Can`t get fuel to flow when I squeeze the ball with the hose off. Blew into the tank and could not get air to pass. Tried it with an air compressor as well, no free flow of air.

If there is a blockage, what`s the best way to unclog ?

I may move the tank change out project up a few months.

T

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are lucky- it's not the motor. Seems upstream of motor.

Is the hose nipple on the tank an anti-siphon valve? If you are not sure, unscrew it and look down the barrel, it will have a spring loaded ball bearing in there.
if so, it may be sticking - replace it, I'd get rid of it by drving out the ball.
Also, check the vent by removing hose at tank and blow thru it wit you mouth, both ways.

If no anti-siphon valve, screw out the tube that goes into the tank and look up lube from bottom side, anything stuck up there?

richie rich

Reaction score
if the tank is close to 20 years old and you've gone through what everyone else mentioned and still have an issue, definitely move up your tank replacement project...if its deteriorating that bad from the inside, you'll be chasing your tail all the time and cost you more in the long run......this way, you motor will have a fresh start from the begining to end.....you'll drive yourself nuts looking for that problem if its fairly old.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If so, for the time being, OP can buy portable poly tanks and place them on the deck for use until season is over. I think they sell 6, 12 and 24 gallon portable poly tanks.

By the way OP, if you have a portable tank or acquire one/borrow one, that's how you can confirm motor is ok, reconnect motor to portable.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
motor problem

Well, today I took apart the whole line from tank to motor, checked the ball valve in the tank, confirmed all lines were open, replaced the fuel water filter and cleaned the spark plugs. Put the suction cups on and it fired right up.

Gave it a little throttle and ran smooth. did that 4 or 5 times and each time same result. I`ll have to drop it in the lake and test run it, but right now it seems fine. could have been some combination of all things discussed and, the tank will still be on the list to change out, only moved up.

I also noticed there is another connection for what could be set up as a spare deck tank that could fit under one of the seats. probably not a bad option.

I`ll post again after the test drive.

Thanks for all the input.

T

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The system may only act up under heavy fuel draw, like when you hammer it. Normal other times.

That's what's called a "restriction" to fuel flow.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
motor problem

Well

I did have 8 people on the boat and pulling a tube, it could have been too much load as well. But, I should have been able to cruise back into port, I would think.

I might have over done it a bit with the kids and the tube.

T

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
if it happens again, don't blow out any lines, you have something floating in the tank and you want it to stay stuck in the pickup tube, so pull out pickup tube carefully so you can retrieve it.

Same happened on my 204C, it was chuck of silicone sealant.

If the tank has two pickups, it's for a twin installation. Can also be used for a kicker.