First time Grady owner!! Tips please

sane99

Reaction score
Hi guys great to be here! So I am a first time boat owner (operated them before though)? I just bought a 1983 seafarer 226 with 2004 Suzuki df200 4 strike. Gotta say I love the upgrade! Deck has a soft spot over the fuel tank (thanks to this site got tips already how to fix, easy enough) transom was professionally redone and huge stainless steel now covers it. It's rock solid as the stringers as well. I was reluctant to buy a boat this age but after seeing how well it was kept up was amazing. Not one crack or repair to the hull and deck. The taxh doesn't work as well as the cigarette lighter outlet. Overall I can't wait to post pictures! I'll be picking up the boat sometime this week. Just wondering if anyone had tips? Suggestions? And mostly a thank you to people that posted. I know so much about this boat already from prior posts and diy's I'll be cruising around raritan bay mostly( fishing spots would help! Lol)
Thanks again
Jon

Bread

Reaction score
Good Luck with it!! I have a 2009 Suzuki DF175 and my 2 cents is to let you know that there are 3 types of anodes on Suzuki DF outboards (both external and under the engine cover; not sure of the total quantity for the DF200)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
Good luck with your boat.
Prob the best thing to do is poke around in the first two forum sections.
There are a ton of threads speaking to upgrades, tips, experiences as well as "how to" items.

Enjoy your first season on the water with her.

sane99

Reaction score
Thanks yeah I have to check the anodes to see how many there are and condition of them. Yeah this forum has been great! Already know so much about the boat by checking around. I seen you were in NY. Do you have any places close to repair a Bimini? I may just order the fabric and do it myself. Motor has close to 400 hours on it I may do the 500hr kit early better to be safe than sorry! Only issue I seen on the boat was the speedo doesn't work (i assume not connected from the repoower) but I will use gps.. Np there.. Not sure it's worth fixing. I will post pictures hopefully if the dmv isn't a zoo lol I can get the boat Tomm..!! Can't wait and thanks!

Reelman5703

Reaction score
sane99 said:
Thanks yeah I have to check the anodes to see how many there are and condition of them. Yeah this forum has been great! Already know so much about the boat by checking around. I seen you were in NY. Do you have any places close to repair a Bimini? I may just order the fabric and do it myself. Motor has close to 400 hours on it I may do the 500hr kit early better to be safe than sorry! Only issue I seen on the boat was the speedo doesn't work (i assume not connected from the repoower) but I will use gps.. Np there.. Not sure it's worth fixing. I will post pictures hopefully if the dmv isn't a zoo lol I can get the boat Tomm..!! Can't wait and thanks!

This guy is in Huntington Long Island and did my cushions and Bolsters. EXCELLENT JOB. He does biminis too and I imagine applies the same craftsmanship.

Contact Information
Mcsorley's Custom Yacht Canvas
Phone: (516) 729-0466

David Mcsorley
Principal

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on the boat. I don't know if she has trim tabs or not but if it does not i would suggest adding them. It is not SeaV2 hull so the ride will be different than those with the SeaV design. Enjoy the ride.