First time Grady owner

Timb

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Hello. New to gw ownership and I'm in search of any info anyone is willing to give on the weekender 241 circa 1979? She's in pretty rough shape as far as the stringers , floor and transom go but she's a prime candidate for a total rehab. 5.7 Volvo penta/gm Motor is stuck and will be rebuilt with a little more hp and the ob is Volvo penta. I know nothing about the ob? Throw any questions or answers at me, I'm all ears. Thanks

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well your looking at a lot of issues. Need to be prepared to fix a lot . Unless your getting it for song and prepared to dump cash into it, keep looking . Lots of good boats out there . What’s your budget )

Timb

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
I don't want to sound like an ass but I have the ability to address any of the issues with the boat. I love projects and this is small compared to some that I've tackled. I grew up in a hot rod shop so the engine will be rebuilt in house with I'm guessing an extra 90 to 100hp (original 260hp stock).I have a full cabinet shop and welding facility along with a full machine shop at my disposal. there isn't much that I can't do, again I'm not trying to sound like an ass just giving you an idea of who your talking to. Im just looking for any secret quirks about the boat. It'll be a winter project for my family to enjoy in the spring. My questions start with what can the Volvo penta sx handle for hp? Are they good/ bad and what are they known for? What is the life span? That sort of stuff.

Timb

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Bloodweiser no offense taken. Just looking for info. Hard to take offense from someone I can't see. I know with no tone it's hard to know how to take someone but I'm harmless and definitely didn't show up looking for an arguement or negativity. Im strictly here to network and learn what people are willing to share ands share whatever I have to offer. I appreciate your time.

Reactions: Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With a 30 yo old boat there can be issues. That’s all, all fixable but can be extensive

Timb

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Bloodweiser, is there a trick to posting pictures? I tried earlier but im noticing nothing is showing? Id like to post the stages of the project for insight from others and possibly to encourage the rest. This old girl needs allot of attention but I don't see her any different from an old car found in a field. Once a shining beauty only to be used hard and put away wet. Now it's restoration time to bring her back from the dust to float proud among the rest of the great grady whites. Now picture a big rugged man in a flannel with his hands on his side staring at the stars with a stern, focused look upon his face. Wow I gave myself chills there. Ha ha. Anyways help with picture info would be great. Thanks

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may be able to take care of all of those things, what’s your time worth? I just did a full rebuild on one that surveyed very well and it took several hundreds of hours.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
In my opinion, the engine rebuild will be the very least of your challenges. The structural/cosmetic issues can be very challenging if done properly.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok you may have the ability to repair it but how about a parts source? If it were an outboard boat you could hang anything on it but being an inboard and one that old your going to have a time finding parts particularly for the outdrive. That may be your biggest problem.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
sounds like from rereading your original post you have already purchased the boat. yes?

Timb

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Hello folks and thanks for posting. K2freak my time is worth a great deal but this is a project with the wife and kids so that's priceless. I do hear ya, some projects the juice just isn't worth the squeeze but in this case, while homeschooling my kids, this is well worth it.
I've taken the boat in trade so yes she sits in my back yard. I've looked it over inside and out and there's nothing there so far that im afraid to tackle. Im removing the stringers and bulkheads and replacing them with coosa or pvc foam as recommended by a boat repair guy. Same with the transom. Minor blemishes on the hull so not allot of detail there. The boat repair fella is giving guidance on materials. I live in Maine and there are a pile of boat builders/ repair shops in my area fortunately. And correct the outdrive is my concern. It looks in good condition with very little paint blistering but I will be tearing into it to see what it hides inside for surprises. I'll post pictures of progress. i won't be starting till later this fall. Thanks again for the replies.

Timb

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
K2freak do you have any pictures posted? Id love to see your boat. And just out of curiosity, if you wouldn't mind me asking, what did your boat price at after the survey? Not that I'll probably ever sell mine.

waynenvabeach

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't know if you have seen the 84 Seafarer rebuild be Shaun Gross. It is very interesting and could give you some ideas and helpful hints. You can find it here or youtube.

Reactions: Timb

MarineBob

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I share your thoughts, with a bit less access to equipment. Just bought a 2013 Seafarer with low hrs, at a fair price. I was gonna take your approach but my decision to buy rather than fix was this. I have done everything mechanical. Paint, weld, wood metal, you name it. But then knowledgeable people I respect asked about salt water knowledge and stainless and aluminum welding etc. So since I wanted to get on the water before I die, I decided to buy. My nickels worth is the decision should be on how long will you take to hit the water

jasgator5220

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Timb as you tackle this job I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures as you progress. You may also receive more detailed answers, tips, and tricks as you move along and encounter specific issues. I love seeing new life given back to old boats.