first time purchase, 232 or 272

Reaction score
I am looking for my first purchase. I have looked at both the 2005 232 (twin 150 4 stroke) and the 2001 27 sailfish ( twin 225 salt water series) . I will be mainly in the sound and great south bay, any advice would be appreciated as to which direction. both are within $10,000 of each other and not a $ issue.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the $ is not an issue (things can add up FAST) and you're comfortable with the larger boat go for the 272. The 232 is a lot of boat for a 23 footer, will cost less to operate and is a little easier to operate and weighs less for towing but still oversized. You get more room on the 272 and better handling but will cost more in fuel, dockage, and insurance.

Get the engines surveyed, the '05's are probably fine provided they were maintained and you can get a download of their past. The '01 OX-66's are good engines but check their condition and hours.

On any choice, get a survey.

Reaction score
thanks for responding, 272 has less than 300 hours and has been dealer maintained, the 232 has less than 100 hours and also has been dealer maintained. the 272 is spotless as is the 232. is there such a handling differeence between the two, since both have twins?
is there much of a fuel difference?
docking is the same and the insurance in nominal.

Reaction score
would not want the bigger boat to be too much for solo trips.
eventhough it does not seem to be that large of a 27 footer.
If you guys say it rides and handles better, than a few hundred more dollars a year in fuel would not make a difference.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When you're used to it, a Sailfish solo isn't that bad. Some do the Marlin solo which is quite a bit bigger. Just be smart about it.

Flying Fish

Reaction score
Surefix: I think you'd see a BIG difference in fuel consumption between those two boats. I'd guess the F150s would use 5-6 gph each at cruise, and the 225s would use twice that much easy. The Saltwater series were fine motors (I had one for 17 years), but the F150s are really special, from everything I've read, heard, and observed; they will be much quieter, won't smoke at all, and probably will outlast the Saltwaters if both are properly maintained. In 10 years--probably even 5--it will be hard to give the Saltwaters away; the F150s still will have some value.

The 272 also is a lot more boat than the 232; do you really want to jump into your first boat with so much boat? There's an old saying to the effect that the smaller the boat, the more you'll use it. Yes, the 272 will give you a better ride, but when there are 5- and 6-footers out there, you'll get beat up anyway.

Finally, the 4-year difference in age is worth quite a lot, IMHO.

FF

jbukie

Reaction score
just my 2 cents...

i don't know much about either boat themselves. I know both engines have very good reputations but at this stage of the game in New York the 4 strokes seem the way to go. 2 strokes have been around for years and people love them but you have to remember you are dealing with ethanol in the gas in new york. Just in talking to people, dealers and my own observationsthe 4 strokes will have much less problems with the ethanol than the 2 strokes....

again i don't claim to be an expert just my opinion.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What's your basis for less trouble with a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke?

jbukie

Reaction score
Grog my only basis is from speaking with friends (who own boats as well) and my mechanic. They always seem to have fuel problems with a lot of 2 strokes and much less with the 4's. It could be because the 2 strokes are generally older so gas tanks are probably older as well. This is why i said it's just my two cents and i'm not an expert by any means.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Whn you think of the potential usage if you think fishing first then cruising I would say go with the 232. If it is the other way around, cruising first, go with the 272 with its better amenities. Either way, nice decision to make.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have never been aboard a 272, but own an '07 232.

I go out on my own most of the time and I trailer the boat to my destinations.

I personally would not want to deal with any bigger boat than a 232 on my own. Launching, retrieving, cleanup, and towing is kind of a big deal. Admittedly, this is probably the 'biggest" 23-footer on the market(She weighs in at 10,100 lbs fully fueled and loaded on the trailer.) However, anything bigger would be too much of a pain, unless I kept the boat in a slip, maybe.

bay son

Reaction score
The 23 is a great all round boat.I have a 300 Suzuki on mine. It is easy to handle. I also fish on a 27'. Mine fishes much better. The 27' has more room below. If you plan overnights the 27' would be better. Other than more room below I would go with the 23'.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 272 for Overnighting - more than a few times a season.

Gas usage will be approx, 30-40 more on the bigger heavier 272. Even more if trolling a lot.