First use of E10 fuel in a 1994 Sailfish

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi - I'm moving this boat up to Massachusetts where it will be getting its first ever dose of E10 fuel. It's got a pair of Etecs and the fuel lines look original but okay. The gas tanks are original. There are two Evinrude 10-micron water separating filters in the boat and two more smaller 10-micron filters under the motor cowlings. Can I just change all the filters and go? Or should I take other steps? I hear about how ethanol is a solvent that will dissolve contaminates that have built up in the fuel system - will these cause problems with the fuel injectors?

Thanks,
-Scott

seasick

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
Hi - I'm moving this boat up to Massachusetts where it will be getting its first ever dose of E10 fuel. It's got a pair of Etecs and the fuel lines look original but okay. The gas tanks are original. There are two Evinrude 10-micron water separating filters in the boat and two more smaller 10-micron filters under the motor cowlings. Can I just change all the filters and go? Or should I take other steps? I hear about how ethanol is a solvent that will dissolve contaminates that have built up in the fuel system - will these cause problems with the fuel injectors?

Thanks,
-Scott
Most of the issues with gunk dissolving is the gunk in the tank itself, not the filters. I suggest that you keep the filters as long as they were routinely changed and then monitor them during the first few usages of E10. More frequent changing may be needed. I would not fill the tank either. Add what you think you will burn in an outing or two. That will help keep the gas fresh. As time goes on, fill up a bit more to potentially dissolve the varnishes on the upper areas of the tank.
The bottom line is that if you have a lot of varnish in the tank, it is going to get dissolved and pumped into the system. The only was to be 100% certain that the tank is not an issue is to have it professionally cleaned.
problem is there are going to be any with the old fuel lines can take time to show up.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Can you get non ethanol gas in your state? It is readily available here in SC. A few weeks ago, I saw the local Porsche club loading up on non ethanol fuel at a station near me in coastal SC. Must have been 15 to 20 of them. E10 is a big no-no in classic cars too. Non ethaol fuel here at the pump is $3.78 as of yesterday. Marinas are higher.

Oooops! Just read where non ethanol gas is not sold by law in Mass.

richie rich

Reaction score
if the fuel lines are original 94, i would do a fuel line and fill hose change....the e10 will eat the hose from the inside a little at a time and get into your engine...the new hoses should be e10 compatible

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get all the fuel out of the tanks before you go ethanol. At least as much as you can.
Water settles and stays at the bottom of non-ethanol fuel in tank, if it is there now, then when ethanol comes in the water is absorbed into the ethanol (alcohol portion) and may cause phase separation. Not good.

Then the ethanol will continue in use fine but "scrub" the tanks clean, make sure spare filters (closest to tanks) are on hand.

All above IMHO.

Heard all good reports on ETECS.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do yourself a huge favor and use the Startron to help control the water, if any in the fuel. Read up on it and you will see the advantages. I have been using it for many years and had great results.
My '92 tanks came out fine and when changing out the fuel tank sensors, I could see inside and the tanks were very clean and shiny, so no sludge or gunk were in them. That is one way you can check them, just be prepared to replace the gasket if you really want to check them like I did. Of course I completely removed my tanks and coated outside with Coal Tar Epoxy and replaced all fuel lines. The originals were in excellent shape at the time, inside and out. However, better to be safe than sorry on hoses.