fischer panda 4kw diesel generator 330 express

fknevins

Reaction score
I just bought a 2007 330 express with a Fischer Panda generator. Can someone give me an overview of the maintenence, care, fluid levels, etc for this generator? Thanks, FKNEVINS

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
close seacock when not running genset; turn off all load before shutting it down, run it as often as possible; check oil; check antifreeze in overflow bottle; the manual has lots of great info. Easy to use!

HMBJack

Reaction score
I will offer you three suggestions on the FP (great little motor BTW):

I agree with Beachbum above on using it often + running the genset with NO Load (for 3 or more minutes) before shutting it down. The FP Service Desk recommend this to allow the electric coils in the generator to cool down before the genset is turned off.

And you need to be religious about opening and closing the seacock. Open it ONLY when you plan to operate the genset. Can be safely used at cruising speed - no problem. But remember to close the seacock when the genset is not in use or you might ram salt water into places it shouldn't go (plus you have an open whole in the bottom of your 330!).

Lastly, I am careful not to run two major appliances at the same time so as to not "stress" the wiring and circuit breakers. I do this by monitoring my AC Amps on the main panel in the cabin. For example, if I am running the microwave, I will flip OFF the water heater (or AC system or stove). Once the microwave is through, I'll flip the water heater back on. I try to keep the AC Amps at 25 or less at all times. If you reach 30 amps, you will trip your breaker and stress everything connected to copper. Safe also to avoid an electrical fire. Just my two cents...

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I have the same gen set in my 300 Marlin. I replaced the impeller on mine and I'll never do that myself again.

I had to use a board on which to slide my overweight self into the bilge opening, reach behind the genset (after have removed the housing) and blindly, one handed remove four wing nuts, cover and old impeller. Then using the enclosed lubricant on the new impeller, repeat the process, all one handed and blind. That was an ordeal. The good news is the genset runs great. Two days of fishing running it for tests and it barely sipped 4 gallons.

It will be worth the money to have some skinny 3rd grader with mechancial skills do that for me. I hope you 330 Express guys have more room for that process.

Reactions: Yellowhat

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lots of great info here. Great suggestion on not pulling too many amps on the wires. I knew to turn all power off before shutting unit down, I usually let it run for a while at the dock ( as I do with my outboards) to let them " cool themselves down" before shutting them off. I didn't know if there was a real reason to do this, now I know there is.

By the way, I have called FP with questions, ( maintenance, impeller, etc) they are very helpful.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wasn't looking forward to changing the impeller- now I am REALLY not looking forward to it!