#$%^&$% Fischer Panda!

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have posted on here a few times about the low oil pressure problem on my FP 4200 4 mini+. I had it taken out of the boat and brought to the local FP factory authorized service guy. He calls me today to tell me that he has been on the phone with FP, and they pretty much told him they were not interested in helping to diagnose and fix the problem. The mechanic asked if we could ship it to them to fix and return, and they said no to that as well. The mechanic is telling me that he is going to be on, essentially, a wild goose chase to diagnose and fix the problem, and he is not confident he can do it at all. He is pretty much telling be not to bother and to just look for another unit to install on the boat - a 2006 330 Express. I am wholly unimpressed with FP and their product.

Now, this generator was on the boat when I bought it last year, and it has never worked right. It would run for 15-20 minutes, start flashing the low oil pressure light, and then shut down. I am pretty sure the old owner knew of this problem but knew we wouldn't run it long enough during the survey to catch it. Regardless, I think I just want to be done with it and move on to something else. So, here are what I think my options are.

1. Buy a new FP. This is not all that palatable to me since I have had nothing but problems with this one.
2. Buy a rebuilt/used FP 4200, plug and play, and hope this one is not someone else's problem that I have paid money for.
3. Replace it with another manufacturer's unit. I already contacted Northern Lights, and they say they don't have an ignition protected unit. I am also not that interested in gas generators. Is there another option out there on the market?
4. Be done with onboard generators and just use a Honda inverter. This is the cheapest and easiest, I know, but I really want to have an integrated generator.

What do you all think? Anyone replace a FP 4200 on their boat? and if so, with what? Anyone know a good place for a reliable used replacement?

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I would go with #4, had a FP in my Marlin and it worked for a year then I started having problems with it and decided to yank it, glad I did!!

PDX-Boats

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the poor service at Fischer Panda.
Hearing stories like this would certainly be a consideration for me when looking for a generator.
Have you thought of contacting Grady White? This also reflects on them and I'm sure the FP account rep for Grady wouldn't want Grady to hear of the poor service!
My guess is that Grady would be interested in advocating for you with FP. After all, the great service is one reason we love our Grady-White boats. Right?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I love my FP on my 2007 330. My experience with Fischer panda technicians from Fort Lauderdale has been completely different. They have been very helpful in solving a minor problem I had with the voltage control box. If you’re planning on removing it anyway I would change the oil to full synthetic 15 W 40 diesel oil. Then bypass the oil pressure switch and run it to see what happens. I assume the oil pressure sensor/switch has been checked and or changed. The control circuits are complex, but the engine itself is simple and from what I’ve heard and experienced, very reliable.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Bill - yes, we went down the oil pressure sensor road. I have had 2 separate guys that I got off of FP's website tell me they don't know what is wrong with it, and it would cost more to figure out than the thing is worth, and even then it still might not run right. Hence, I am done with it. The question is, what to replace it with?

ocdansar

Reaction score
Iam shopping for a 330 express right now and the ones I have looked at all need new generators. I have researched enough to know I will not buy a fisher panda. All I see is complaints and bad reviews.
The 2 Iam looking at now is nexgen and phasor. Both will be close to 10 grand for around 4.5 kw with sound shields. Both use a Kubota Diesel engine that operates at a low rpm.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am reading good things about the Nextgen. I reached out to them yesterday for more info. We'll see. If anyone has put one on their boat, I'd live to hear your thoughts on them.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have you called FP directly to see if they can help? Every time I’ve contacted them, they have been very helpful with follow up emails. They only issues I’ve had was a bad starter, bad fuel. I change the oil, replace the fuel filter and impeller and belt every few years.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, I did originally. I got a big, "Huh, not really sure," which then got me to get the factory authorized local service guys involved. Heck, the service guy asked if we could ship it straight to them so they could look at it, and they said "no."

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, I did originally. I got a big, "Huh, not really sure," which then got me to get the factory authorized local service guys involved. Heck, the service guy asked if we could ship it straight to them so they could look at it, and they said "no."
Remember, Fischer panda does not make the engine. They are made by Farryman . Their North American headquarters is in Orlando. Check their website and they may be able to help you out.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don't even get me started on Farryman. Probably 8 voicemails and an equal number of emails to them. No response. I am not sure they have a North American operation anymore.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don't even get me started on Farryman. Probably 8 voicemails and an equal number of emails to them. No response. I am not sure they have a North American operation anymore.
Sorry to hear that!

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm lucky enough to have bought a boat with a good newer FP5000. However, for $10k I would be investigating alternatives pretty hard vs replacing. For me the benefit of the big gen was that I could run helm A/C when it is absurdly hot here in the summer. What do you actually intend to use the generator for?

I feel like we're just on the brink of lithium batteries + an inverter being an option. Another 5-7 years or so and I could imagine it being mainstream. If set up right, you can augment the battery pack (and/or charge) with your eu2000i and/or solar and not have to run the gen as much.