Fish ability question

PapaS

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I want to move up from a 204C to a 232 or a 282 and am concerned about getting fishing lines around the bracketed engines while fighting fish. Most of my fishing is done on the drift, is this a problem? I’m to old to be climbing out over the stern on the drift with a fishing rod.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I drift fish my 228 which is a bracket motor. I've brought a few fish in from the back, but most of the time you'll bring them in along the side. Should be a non issue for you.

20171006_114336.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've brought many 200+ pound tuna in through the stern of Sailfish and never an issue with the engines. Ground fishing is usually as KY Grady stated over the side.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I share your concern. I have fished boats with brackets/platforms/fishboxes in the way. I don't like it.
If you go new you are stuck with motors 8 ft behind your feet. I went with the 265 because it has motors on the transom and a tailgate. I can be on anchor fishing wrecks and have guys fishing both sides AND over the motors. Drifting we also get one guy over the motors. If you fish under the boat on the drift you can still easily walk it around to fight & net.You can fight a fish around the motors easily. Yes, in either case you will bring fish alongside to net or gaff.

t5DjcVyl.jpg

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Look at the transom of the 258 I have in the 'for sale' section. Along with the 265, I think it is the fishing friendliest transom Grady has made.

Rob