Fish box drains realllllllly slow

tgr23

Reaction score
Is there a recommended way to unplug the fish box drain? More importantly is there a really wrong way to do it? I don't want to break anything. Happily I think it might have some scales in there, it's taking over night drain out an inch of water. I blasted the water hose in there but it's still slow.

Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try covering the drain with a big rag (have someone hold it loosely in place so stuff doesn't go splashing everywhere... or at least close the lid) and blast the water in from the thru-hull fitting. With a hose, go full bore - no issues.

tgr23

Reaction score
Actually I did that angle also. Not much movement, which I guess is good because I did not have the drain covered at the time!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, as long as no one had their face right over the drain----- However... if you do happen to have someone in that position, you MUST get it on video and SHARE!

You could try a flexible snake... use tape on any parts that are sharp or could snag (both on the push or the pull). You might even get lucky by using a small diameter, vinyl hose as a snake. Vinyl, as opposed to rubber, tends to be a little stiffer and might make it easier to push through a bend.

Also, try pushing the vinyl hose in from the outside - but duct tape it to your hose sprayer. Sort of a make-shift "power snake".

You could also try compressed air (again, from the outside/thru-hull). Use duct tape to make a good seal. Start with about 5-10 psi and see what happens. At that pressure, you absolutely won't do any damage.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd get a wire snake and a sink plunger from HD.
Push the snake through the return on the hull first (hopefully on trailer or blocks). Then try from the inside. My guess is a plastic cap from a water bottle or something like that. Don't ask me how I know - those low profile ones from Poland Spring are brutal.

eppem

Reaction score
Any chance a sinker or something else might be blocking? Had the same problem years ago on a deck drain and it ended up being a sinker that was causing the issue.

tgr23

Reaction score
I was also thinking a plunger would be worth a try. Thanks for the ideas.
Travis

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
try a shop vac from both ends, you can try both suction or to just to blow it out. I have had clogs from both single objects(water bottle caps and sinkers) and clogs that were a conglomerate of different debris.

gw204

Reaction score
drbatts said:
try a shop vac from both ends, you can try both suction or to just to blow it out. I have had clogs from both single objects(water bottle caps and sinkers) and clogs that were a conglomerate of different debris.

That statement made me think of this... lol

latest