Fish finder/navigation

SScooper

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1995 208 Adventure. I need to update the current fish finder and GPS unit. Neither unit work and are separate units. I would like to install a combination unit. What is my best choice and how big of a job would it be to self install?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are reasonably handy with basic power tools it's not a big job to install one. The toughest part of the job typically is running the transducer wire from the transom/bilge area up to the dash. GW includes a PVC pipe or two under the floor and you will have to use a plumbers snake to get through it to pull the wire through.

As far as connections, you will have a power and ground lead - both will connect to your fuse block (+) and (-). If your VHF is newer and supports NMEA 0183 then it pays to connect it to the new GPS/FF unit so that your position is captured by the VHF in the event you ever have to use the distress feature.

Go for the biggest screen your wallet can support.....there are good deals out there right now on the Garmin 740s (discontinued but still available) and the Lowrance HDS-7 (Gen2) or Simrad NSS7. You should be able to get a decent 7 inch screen unit with transducer in the $850-$900 range, if not less.

seasick

Reaction score
Parthery said:
If you are reasonably handy with basic power tools it's not a big job to install one. The toughest part of the job typically is running the transducer wire from the transom/bilge area up to the dash. GW includes a PVC pipe or two under the floor and you will have to use a plumbers snake to get through it to pull the wire through.

As far as connections, you will have a power and ground lead - both will connect to your fuse block (+) and (-). If your VHF is newer and supports NMEA 0183 then it pays to connect it to the new GPS/FF unit so that your position is captured by the VHF in the event you ever have to use the distress feature.

Go for the biggest screen your wallet can support.....there are good deals out there right now on the Garmin 740s (discontinued but still available) and the Lowrance HDS-7 (Gen2) or Simrad NSS7. You should be able to get a decent 7 inch screen unit with transducer in the $850-$900 range, if not less.
The electrons box is relatively small. I have two 5 inch screens, one for GPS and for for sounder. I find that split screens especially on displays less than 10 inches are tough to use.

rustyhook

Reaction score
does anyone have input on how well the internal gps antenna works inside the electronics box ? not trying to steal thread but could be an issue. I have a 1995 208 and looking at upgrading as well?

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
My 208 has a hardtop. Not sure about a unit with internal antenna for GPS would receive well. My Furuno antenna is mounted on gunnel starboard bow area. 7 inch GPS screen fits in my electronics box along with a 7 inch screen Furuno depth / sonar but it fills it up. I do not prefer the combo units. VHS is in the hardtop electronics box above with an addtional speaker mounted for clarity when underway or box lid is closed.

Webby208

Reaction score
I have dual units and agree if you can afford it, this is really they way to go, and allows you to use your electronics to its fullest potential. I think split screen on a 7" units hampers your true ability to maintain good situational awareness. Of course this is just my opinion but I have a hard time looking at a split screen. Here is what I did on my 1997 and it has the small box. I did the install myself and have been really pleased. I have the hardtop and have had no know issues with GPS reception with the Garmin 740 with internal antenna.

Jon

Attachments

• Electronics.jpg
    Electronics.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 3,822

suzukidave

Reaction score
timely thread. i am trying to sort this out on my 223. i have come to the conclusion i would ideally like dual display. to add to the confusion, my wife wants a charterplotter display she can see from the passenger seat. not to mention i am reluctant to give up the storage compartment above the helm and i would have to remount the vhf and radio to do it.

from my research the stand alone elite 7 or echo models are fine for me. i don't really need dsc or a gps alarm and my motor doesn't do instruments so i don't need networking.

i am leaning towards an elite 7 hd at the helm and an older lcx or similar off ebay on the passenger side.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 2005 208 and this is the package that was in her when I got it:

I replaced it with a Garmin 540S with an internal antenna and it worked great, I sold this one and later I got another with a hardtop and installed a 541S with internal antenna and it also worked great in the box.

If you look close you will see a Furuno and the 541 in the box.

seasick

Reaction score
The internal antennas work fine in my experience. As to being able for the 'other' captain to see the screen, that can be a challenge since many of the displays have limited viewing angles. The screen would have to be rotated towards the port chair. In addition, if either of you wear polarized sunglasses, small changes in the vertical viewing angle can make the screen appear to go blank.
If you share a screen between plotting and sonar, especially if you split a smaller screen, things are even harder to make even when looking head on.
If you can, take a look at friends setups. A trip to a decent marine supply store will also let you see what screens look like from the front and from the side.