Fish Hatch for Sailfish 272 - 1997

dhurwitz

Reaction score
Hi All

I need to fit a decent size fish hatch to my Sailfish 272. We typically catch Tuna (longfin 10 - 30kg and Yellowfin 40 - 90kg). Over the weekend i cound not fit a good size longfin in the standard hatch so i am looking to have something made specially.

If anyone can give me some advise with regards to size and design (even upload a pic or two if you have) it would be much appreciated!

My thoughts are as follows: hatch size 1.3m x0.8m x 0.8m. This will allow for a +-55cm between gunnels and the hatch. I would like a shelf in the side of the hatch to allow for more tacke storange on the deck. I can then use the standard fish hatch to store bait and keep ice and fish in the larger hatch on the deck.

Thanks

dhurwitz

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks, but the bags will not really work for the type of fishing we do. I have attached a picture from last weekend, which was a reasonably average day that will put it in perspective...

I am open to any suggestions and maybe i am wrong about the bags?

Regards,

Attachments

• 20111029-00405.jpg
    20111029-00405.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 4,471
  • 20111029-00406.jpg
    20111029-00406.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 4,470

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Just send me your GPS coordinates of where you are and I'll take care of the fish!!! :lol:

Nice catch!

dhurwitz

Reaction score
Hi Leapfrog

I am quite a way away from you :) I live in Cape Town, South Africa, but you are always welcome to come fish our waters. In October / November and April / May / June we catch our best tuna. Regularily boats will catch 5+ Tuna in excess of 60kg each in a day. Hence my issue with the fish box.

I have made a cutout of 1.2m by 0.8m, but i think i could go a bit bigger, thinking of 1.35m x 1m?

Out of interest do you not catch a lot of big Tuna in the states? All american boats seem to come with what we would caonsider very small fish hatches, My last boat was a locally made 22ft monohull with a fish hatch 2.2m long, 1.2m wide and more 1.2m deep which is far bigger than you see on even 30ft + american boats. I may be generalising when i say american boats as I am sure some of your boats must have big fish hatches?

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 4,455
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,453

freddy063

Reaction score
I have basically the same boat, The only thing I came up with is to Make your aft berth a fish hold that haves a door under the port-side helm chair. the only trouble I have is how do you gain access to all the items past the aft berths walls, You would have to make water proof hatches, but it think it would work with a little thought.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I have been confused about the design of the fishbox since I got my Grady last year... Smaller fish get lost towards the front, blocks of ice slide side to side while trolling, it takes lots of cubed ice just to cover the bottom...
Most of my fishing has been inshore for Striped Bass up to about 4 feet and 48 pounds. They fit in the box very well. I haven't taken mine offshore yet... next year though! A 60 lb yellowfin tuna is a nice catch for us... I don't think even they won't fit well in the fishbox no clue how you would attempt to get a 60 kg one in there!!! Dolphin and Wahoo are no problem, but a big tuna doesn't bend very much! I went last month on a friend's World Cat and he had two nice six foot long by 2 foot wide boxes in the floor that were perfect for lots of big fish (and we did catch plenty that trip!)
A couple hundred miles south of me the folks will catch Giant Bluefin tunas during the winter... These are several hundred pounds each! I think I need a bigger boat if I'm regularly going after those! Or at least a big beefy crew! Meanwhile, I'm gonna pick up a couple fish bags and take them with me on my trips offshore here.

dhurwitz

Reaction score
Hi ahill

There is very little space between the top of the fuel tank and the deck, so that is not an option and structurely I would not be confortable with that sort of modification.

Have i understood your question correctly?

Regards,

ahill

Reaction score
When you said "hatch" and indicated the template I thought you were going in deck.
What are you planning?

dhurwitz

Reaction score
I am planning on building an insulted box for above the deck with space for tackle storage as well as cutting boards on the lid. It should make life a lot easier on the boat as it will mean more tackle storage space on the deck, something to lean against and hold on to as well as store fish.

I have commissioned it now, so it should be done in 3 / 4 weeks. I have gone for the size 1.4m wide, 1m long and 0.8m high. I will upload pictures when done.

Regards,

ttles714

Reaction score
Please keep us informed as to what you have done here. .. I have been reading this with interest.. I own a 30' GW Marlin 300. That comments on the Sailfish hold true for the Marlin. The Fish Box under the port side companion seat is of fair to poor design.. It should have included some kind of "gate", as smaller fish get "lost" forward. And it takes a lot of ice that also "Gets Lost" The "gate" is my spring project.

dhurwitz

Reaction score
I have designed and am having a custom hatch made to fit on top of the deck... Will post pics when I receive it in 3 weeks. Thanks all for the input