Fisher Panda generator problems

gatordmd

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me. I have a 2014 33ft. Grady White canyon that I purchased last year. The generator does not run for longer then 30 minutes, even with no load. I have had two generator mechanics work on it (at a cost of $2,500). It works dockside, but not underway or even drifting in the ocean. Both mechanics told me the generator is fine. I have also put fresh fuel. I also rewired the batteries so two batteries are connected to it. There is no error code, it just shuts off. I can start it again after 15 minutes. Any suggestions would be helpful.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Could be anything but sounds electrical. Also, have you changed the fuel filter? What about the water pump? PITA to get to but should be changed. Try calling fisher panda customer support. They have been helpful to me. We run our generator every time we’re offshore. So far only had a starter failure.

seasick

Reaction score
The part I don't understand is why the gen set runs OK at the dock but not when out on a trip. IS the boat mooing when the gen set shuts down or are you anchored? Is the load different when you are at sea as opposed to at the dock?
The first question would probably relate to a cooling issue and the second one more to a fuel starvation issue but in that case I would expect a more gradual/stuttering shut down a not an abrupt one

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have some sort of fuel issue. might be time to drain the diesel and add new.

seasick

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you have some sort of fuel issue. might be time to drain the diesel and add new.
I guess if there is some sort of crap in the tank, it may not get picked up at the dock but might at sea when the tank contents are shaken up. But then I would expect the gen set to stumble, bog down and stall, not just a binary shut off..
Now if it turns out that there was more load at sea for whatever reason than at the dock, it could be cooling or more likely fuel starvation where the demand is a tad higher than the available flow rate. Eventually, the gen set gets starved for fuel.

gatordmd

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I have replaced virtually every part. I ran the diesel dry and refilled the tank. It does shut down at the dock as well. However, my mechanic told me he ran it for 4 hours at the dock (and charged me!) and it was fine.

mattttt25

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I think it's going to be something electrical. It's heating up and eventually a connection is failing. When it finally cools, it runs again. Hard to find Gremlins like that. Best of luck-

Biscayne208

Reaction score
Did you have Hartman Yacht look at it? I had an issue once with my FP and after they came out 650 hours later she has been literally flawless.

Fishtales

Reaction score
strange problem. probably going to need a FP sharpie to help you with it.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Sounds like you have eliminated fuel starvation as an issue. Diesels only need fuel and air and some electrical to hold the fuel solenoid open. There is at least one sensor, maybe two, that will shut the engine down by closing the fuel solenoid without leaving an error code. I don't remember the specifics, but FP can probably tell you which ones. A good technician can check that (or those) sensors when it shuts down and see if that is the cause. I seem to remember it may be generator windings overheat, but don't quote me on that. Could be a faulty sensor or even a good sensor doing it's job. Good Luck!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just exercised my generator and remembered another shutdown issue I had previously. It will shut down for over or under voltage. I had a capacitor solid state relay in the voltage control box that would overheat and cause the generator to shutdown when a load such as the air conditioner was applied. FP changed the relay design and upped the capacity sometime after 2006. There are several different schematics for the box. I put in new upgraded relays and it fixed the problem. If you can watch the voltage when it shuts down it may be indicative of a voltage control box problem. My relays were partially melted and it was obvious that they were getting too hot. They are not easy to get to, but the box on my 330 is port side aft cabin behind the bulkhead. Good luck!