fisher panda impeller replacement

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am going to try and change the impeller myself this time. (What with the recession and all.) It looks like it will be a booger to get to and was wondering if anyone had done this and found any tricks to make it easier.

Thanks in advance for the help.

gulfcart

Reaction score
It's a b***h.. Make sure you have spare wing nuts or regular nuts and a magnet..You'll drop a few before you get the cover back on.. I won't change it again unless it really shows it's not pumping. I got 300 hours on this impellar.. If you find an easy in ..let me know. I'm all ears.. I'm thinkin...leprachon... :lol:

Stonewall

Reaction score
I have completed this job a couple times. It is still a pain in the ass. First thing to do is take up that back section of floor. You won't be able to get the job done with that in place. (unless you have the body of a 12 year old boy)

There are a few hoses and other lines that are right in front of the impellor housing that will be in your way. Tie wrap them all together and pull them out of the way before you begin anything. Its going to be hard enough even without all the crap in your way.

Getting the wing nuts off and the old impellor out is pretty easy. Just make sure you note the direction of rotation so the new impellor goes in the exact same way. Now comes he hard part - getting the new impellor back in. I found that if I take a tie-wrap and place it about 2/3 the way up the impellor and tighten it down around the fins it fits in much easier. Then when it is lined up with the slot, cut the tie wrap and push it the rest of the way in. Sounds pretty simple but first you have to coat the impellor with dish soap or mineral oil so it is slick enough to get in and manuever around. That also makes it more difficult to hold onto. OK - now the impellor is in place. Now, the harder part - getting those damn wing nuts back on. Buy a few extra ones like "Gulfcart" says cause you will drop a few. A magnet won't help because stainless isn't magnetic. If you use anything else except stainless you will regret it the next time you have to change it out! If you drop one, just grab another and start over because you will waste hours trying to find it. The easiest wing nut to get to needs to be the last one you put on. If you put it on first it will be in your way of the others and you will just take it back off an hour later when you realize I'm right. This will be after cussing everyone and their mother! It's pretty much a one-handed, blind operation. But if you take your time and think it through, you will get it done. Have a cold six pack ready - you will need it!

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions. Any questions that is except - Can you come down and do it for me? That ain't happening. Sorry.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good advice thanks guys sounds like I need to take my time, be patient and have a sack full of wing nuts.

gulfcart

Reaction score
Stonewall is right they are stainless. But I did replace with regular nuts (which I also dropped) in 2 places. I've had no issue with it.

No matter how you look at it, it's poor engineering!

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks

You guys were right it was a bear. But I was prepared for it, budgeted all day for the job and got it done. I got some extra extra wing nuts before hand as well as washers and needed them.

For me the toughest part was getting the new impeller to go in. I tried zip ties, holding my teeth a certain way and finally prayer. Prayer seemed to work and it is pumping like crazy.

Sad part is the old impeller looked brand new and the whole effort was probably unecessary. I agree with Gulfcart I won't do it again unless it quits.

Stonewall, I'm not sure I did your zip tie trick right did you wrap the tie around the impeller and tighten it or around hald the blades? Anyway thanks again. This forum is awesome.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Re: Thanks

wrobinson said:
Stonewall, I'm not sure I did your zip tie trick right did you wrap the tie around the impeller and tighten it or around hald the blades? Anyway thanks again. This forum is awesome.

Just around the first half that had to fit in the hole. I'm glad you got er' done!

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to deprive you of that quality time with your boat. Be patient and plan on all day.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I'm getting good at it! Took me 2 hrs!

Just a hint.. I tied 15lb mono on the wing nuts with an improved cinch knot. Left 2 ft trailing. Rubbed Gorilla glue on thumb and 2 fingers on both hands (lightly). Worked great. Made it easier not worrying about dropping the wing nuts. Just pulled em back up with the mono if I dropped em.. I left mono on them wrapped up in the bottom for next time. Hopefully not for a while.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
TWO HOURS??? My knuckles hadn't even started bleeding good at the two hour mark. Awesome. Any trick you learned to getting that new impeller in? That is what took me the time.

How about the oil screen clean at 500 hours? I am due for that and I'm afraid you have to pull the gen set to get to it. You ever look at that?

Good job. I don't think Jeff Gordons pit crew could change that thing in two hours.

gulfcart

Reaction score
That isn't bad I use a wire tie and tighten it up around impellar with the blades pointed in the right direction and slip it in. The tie slips off after you push it on the shaft.

I have not touched my screen. As long as you change your oil on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about it.