Fisherman 222 vs 209?

NHAngler

Reaction score
This could also read Seafarer 226/228 vs either of those as well. Have a 180 (love it) and will be soon hunting for a bigger Grady. Sold on Grady White boats though after looking at and riding in so many other brands. There were 2 other brands I liked but way out of my price range and availability on used is next to nothing but mostly nothing.

Walkaround vs center console? No need to go there but reason I brought it up was due to the increase in space for a 22' vs 20' boat which brought me into thinking about the 222. Was almost 100% set on a 209. I will say that I do not like the new 216 and would never consider one of those.

Feedback on the 222? Operating costs, trailering, overall ride in moderate to poor conditions, power (is a 200 enough?), and fishability?

I do like to keep things simple though and within a controllable budget. Seems either would work but looking for feedback from those that have gone up and down the 2'itus ladder.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You will need at least 225 hp for the 22.5 ft hulls. 250 is way better. Figure on 3 mpg at cruise (4000-4200 rpm).

You can get by with 200 hp on the 20 ft hull.

The 20' Gradys I've been in handle the waves almost as well as the 22.5'. But there is a lot more usable space in the 22.5's.

UCPA111

Reaction score
I assume you want the center console layout. I thought I did originally...but then considered how I use my boat. I troll a lot on Lake Erie. Having a hard top and helm area that is protected is nice for sun shade and rain events. Small cabin so kids can read and relax and we have storage. But, fantastic cockpit for fishing. I run 4-6 people and we have plenty of room to run a 10-12 rod spread and be bringing them in 3 at a time. Lake Erie can be rough, and while this isn't a 34' boat it handles the water. I feel confident in the boat more than the people I fish with who are older. So, I know I'll get back to the dock and she does a great job with the V and bow flare. Let us know what you end up doing...

226 Seafarer- 1984 model restored.

loafer-roatan

Reaction score
My first Grady was the 209 Escape. Great first boat. It had a 175 Yamaha on it and for me it was enough. I had the boat for about 8 years before upgrading to a 263 with twin 200s. I couldn't belive what a difference the added 6 feet made. It felt like twice the boat. I'm now in the process of buying a 306 and headed to Key West in May to pick it up. Can't wait. My advice is if you can afford it, go straight to the 222. The 209 is a great little boat, but the added space and handling of a bigger Grady is worth it.

NHAngler

Reaction score
I do a lot of different kinds of fishing from trolling for salmon and laker, casting lures fishing flats for stripers, and some bottom fishing for sea bass and tog. I usually ground fish 1-2 times per year and plenty of live bait fishing inshore. I have fished for tuna but with an 18 foot boat I don’t feel as confident. I’m sure I could land one on standup gear but have had some sharks put me into tow mode. Another thousand pounds may help.

I think a 226 is a nice boat though and something to consider. I would not have as much casting space but might be ok. I’m guessing that is going to require a 250 or greater outboard?