Fisherman 236 Drainage

allisbob

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Hi, I noticed that on the Grady-White web site they say that all compartments drain directly overboard on the Fisherman 236. However the anchor compartment (without a windless) drains back through the center of the boat and the water ends up in the aft bilge. I often wash down the rode and anchor when it's in the bow anchor compartment and wondered where the water went. Can anyone confirm that the anchor compartment does not drain directly overboard.
Thanks,
Bob
Cape May NJ.

seasick

Reaction score
Many of the hulls drain into the mid bilge. Depending on the angle of the hull, that water will immediately drain into the aft bilge or it will sit until either enough water accumulates to overcome the incline forward or on larger hulls, the mid bilge pump activates. On the really small hulls, like my 208, the bilge pump will activate when I haul or launch the boat at the ramp when the hull angle is steep.
On some hulls like MyOtherBoat the anchor locker drains through the hull above the water line. There is usually a clamshell fitting near the bow that the water drains out of. Take a look on both sides of the hull about a foot or two back from the keel and if you see a clamshell it is probably the anchor locker drain

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hi, I noticed that on the Grady-White web site they say that all compartments drain directly overboard on the Fisherman 236. However the anchor compartment (without a windless) drains back through the center of the boat and the water ends up in the aft bilge. I often wash down the rode and anchor when it's in the bow anchor compartment and wondered where the water went. Can anyone confirm that the anchor compartment does not drain directly overboard.
Thanks,
Bob
Cape May NJ.
On my 268 Islander the anchor locker drains into the forward bilge. It could be different on your model or year. If it is there will be a thru hull mushroom up forward - but I doubt it! I don't particularly like it that way because its more than water that gets into the bilge.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Thanks,
Bob
Cape May NJ.
You are correct - the water drains into the hull. If you remove all the anchor rope and chain, you'll see a small hole in the very back bottom - that's what channels the water. I have the windlass on my 236 but it's built the same as without the windlass. However since getting my GPS trolling motor I have yet to clean the anchor compartment. Make sure to leave the anchor rode locker open while in storage to let air escape as you don't want mold growing on the rope.

In addition to the anchor compartment, you'll notice a few drains (i think there's two, but don't quote me on that) inside the bottom of the head compartment. They also drain into the bildge. Furthermore, the deck access panels to the fuel tank aren't very well sealed. Upon cleaning my boat after use, I tilt the trailer up as far as I can get it to let gravity drain the water out the drain plug on the transom. I also remove the hatch directly in front of the motor between the two swim platforms to let the bildge air dry.

I supposed Grady defines "compartments" as the boxes with a latch whether that be the livewells, fish boxes, etc.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I guess the anchor locker drain in the bilge as the locker is too deep to drain overboard.
If draining in the bilge is a issue, one solution would be to add a higher sealed floor in the anchor locker and then add a thru-hull above the water line.
The main problem with this is if you end up in real nasty conditions and take a lot of water over the bow and that ends in the bilge. As long the bilge pump works it's not a real problem, if the bilge pump does not work, well then is trouble ahead.
A high water alarm would be a rather cheap and good idea to be alerted about potential dangerous situation arising.

The drains inside the console is on most boats for the same reason, too low to drain by gravity over board so they drain the usually only shower water in the bilge.
Bigger boats have a small tank where all drains go and get pumped then overboard.

Furthermore, the deck access panels to the fuel tank aren't very well sealed.
You should replace the round hatches and seal all openings and cut's around the deck plates again as sea water dripping over the fuel tank will shorten his life considerably.

Chris

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I guess the anchor locker drain in the bilge as the locker is too deep to drain overboard.
If draining in the bilge is a issue, one solution would be to add a higher sealed floor in the anchor locker and then add a thru-hull above the water line.
The main problem with this is if you end up in real nasty conditions and take a lot of water over the bow and that ends in the bilge. As long the bilge pump works it's not a real problem, if the bilge pump does not work, well then is trouble ahead.
A high water alarm would be a rather cheap and good idea to be alerted about potential dangerous situation arising.

The drains inside the console is on most boats for the same reason, too low to drain by gravity over board so they drain the usually only shower water in the bilge.
Bigger boats have a small tank where all drains go and get pumped then overboard.

You should replace the round hatches and seal all openings and cut's around the deck plates again as sea water dripping over the fuel tank will shorten his life considerably.

Chris
I will replace the seals on the hatches. The vast majority of the water that gets into my bildge is from washing the boat thru the deck hatches.

allisbob

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
You are correct - the water drains into the hull. If you remove all the anchor rope and chain, you'll see a small hole in the very back bottom - that's what channels the water. I have the windlass on my 236 but it's built the same as without the windlass. However since getting my GPS trolling motor I have yet to clean the anchor compartment. Make sure to leave the anchor rode locker open while in storage to let air escape as you don't want mold growing on the rope.

In addition to the anchor compartment, you'll notice a few drains (i think there's two, but don't quote me on that) inside the bottom of the head compartment. They also drain into the bildge. Furthermore, the deck access panels to the fuel tank aren't very well sealed. Upon cleaning my boat after use, I tilt the trailer up as far as I can get it to let gravity drain the water out the drain plug on the transom. I also remove the hatch directly in front of the motor between the two swim platforms to let the bildge air dry.

I supposed Grady defines "compartments" as the boxes with a latch whether that be the livewells, fish boxes, etc.
Hi Rocketguy88,

Thanks for your reply, that makes perfect sense, thanks! I have one question: you mentioned that you "open the hatch directly in front of the motor between the two swim platforms". I have a 2018 GW Fisherman 236 and I don't have a hatch in that location. Are you referring to the hatch in front of the transom, under the bench seat? Thanks again.
Bob
Cape May NJ

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Nope, not under the aft fold out bench seat. I'm talking about a hatch that's literally right in front of the motor in between the swim platform steps. Maybe your boat doesn't have that, but mine does. When my engine is trimmed all the way up, I have to reach underneath the front of the cowling to unscrew the hatch.

allisbob

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I think I found out why my 2018 Fisherman 236 does not have the hatch in front of the motor, it looks like the Fisherman 230 has the hatch and the 236 does not. I think the first year for the 236 model was in 2017. Anyway... thanks for your reply! Have a good holiday.

Bob

Munrobr

Reaction score
Model
Advance
You must use SAE J2006 100-1120 hose.It will have a green line down the side. The white sanitation hose used on the head will not pass a survey. Just had mine inspected and was told sanitation hose is a no go.