Fisherman 236 vs 257

johnhall

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I am looking at both the Fisherman 236 and 257. The only real difference I can see is the 257 has twin engines and has a slightly longer Over All Length. I like the swim platform better on the 236 and it is lighter to tow. Any thouhgt or comments are appropriated John

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Having a single engine (kicker doesn't count as a main) makes me slightly nervous. If you are looking at used, I'd go with the twin. New, either is fine, just stay on top of it, flush it every time, lots of people here like salt away.

Also depends on where you are/what you want to do. If you are east coast and need to go 50 miles out to get to deep water, yeah, I'd want twins. Ditto if you are chasing tuna where I am. If I go chase tuna, it's gonna be a 2 boat launch until I get comfortable.

BTW - when I started looking at grady, I wanted the 236, love the look of that boat. I got talked into my 228 because it was what the dealer had to sell. Walking around it is not as pleasant as a CC but you know what is super pleasant? Being inside that big enclosed helm when it is cold. If you are west coast or any place not warm, I'd look at one of the walk arounds. I've grown to love mine, can go out in a t-shirt when all the center console guys are in full foul weather gear. It's dry too.

It took me a while to warm up to that style of boat but I'm glad I got her, love that boat.

mjwilly

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Hi John,

I have a 2017 257 w/ twin 150s. It is my 4th Grady over the years (i.e., 208, 268, 282) and now that my kids are older it is perfect for what I do most - fish.

When comparing the 236 and 257 it came down to several factors for me:

1. Twin engine option - offshore reliability and safety
2. 2x the size live well
3. 25% increased sized fish boxes
4. 15% increased fuel tank
5. Fresh water tank/shower
6. Larger cockpit
7. Heavier boat

Also, I happen to not be a fan of the look of the newer boats with swim platforms on either side of the engine. For a family boat this is a great option, not so much for fishing purposes.

johnhall

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Thanks for the opinions. We are going to sea trial both this weekend