Fishfinder next to GPS

GT

Reaction score
Greetings all. About 5 years ago I mounted the Garmin 188 chart plotter (gps) and have been happy with it, this Christmas was given a Garmin 500c fish finder (it has a transom mount transducer) and want to mount it as well. Would have been nice to have one unit perform both functions but can't look a gift horse in the mouth!
I mounted the gps transducer on the starboard side of my transom. Any advice on where to mount the Echo transom traducer? Seems to me like they'll be interference between the two. Who's been down this path before?
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
If they run at the same frequency, there could be issues. Sometimes, changing the ping speed ( if that feature is available) will eliminate interference. You won't really know until you try it. As a worse case, you will have to pick one sonar to activate and disable the other.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Since they are Garmins, both transducers will use the same frequency and you will definitely get interference... Most all units use 200 and/or 50 frequencies...

I switched a few years ago from a combo unit to using separate GPS and Fishfinders... I would never go back to a single system! More screen space and I don't have to worry if I am zooming in on the chart or the fishfinder...

Pick one as your chart plotter and the other as the fishfinder... You could always mount the new transducer, just don't plug it into the unit unless something failed in the other one...