Fishing Line?

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
I've been out of commission for a couple of years with back problems and I'm finally getting back into the things I use to do, like fishing. For the last couple of years there seem to be a lot of new fishing lines on the market since the last time I was fishing. With choices like monofilament, braided and fluorocarbon material which is the best line to use today?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions,
Rod

MrPat

Reaction score
What are you fishing for and how do you fish. I like braid for bottom fishing (no stretch for feeling everything) and mono for trolling (stretches so you don't pull the hook when the fish makes his runs. Fluorocarbon makes good leader material for leader shy fish. Some use it for tuna. Some use it for snapper.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Blues, Flounder, Strippers, Black Drum and Weakfish are just some of the fish that are hear in the Delaware Bay, NJ. Depending were you are in the season you may be drifting or anchored.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use mono mostly, typically Berkley Big Game and tie on flouro leaders in most cases. For deep bait fishing and some surf rods I will use braid, usually Power Pro. Light casting rods get braid as well since the no stretch makes it a little easier to maintain a hook set. Heavier spinning is mono. Again all have flouro leaders. Trolling is strictly mono.

Most lines today are very good quality, surpassing what was available only a short time ago. Each has its pros and cons in specific applications and may in some cases require different knots. For example, a clinch knot will not usually hold well in braid. Experimentation is the best way to determine how each will affect how you fish.