Fix small gelcoat crack

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Does anyone have advice on how to fix a small crack to prevent water damage? Thanks

Attachments

• scratch pic.jpg
    scratch pic.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 75

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Dremel tool, tape , sandpaper and waxed gelcoat would do the trick for the best match. You could mix your own or Grady sells it to match (somewhat). That small of a job I would mix my own.

seasick

Reaction score
There are many video on the web. Search for gel coat scratch repair video.
There are two ways to approach small cracks: The professional method that takes time and patience and the fast fix method. Which approach you take is determined on how you want the repair to look or in the case of the professional fix, be invisible.
For newer hulls, invisible repairs can be easier since you can buy color matched patching kits. For older hulls, perfect matches are tougher and generally require the blending of areas much larger than just the crack.

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
There are many video on the web. Search for gel coat scratch repair video.
There are two ways to approach small cracks: The professional method that takes time and patience and the fast fix method. Which approach you take is determined on how you want the repair to look or in the case of the professional fix, be invisible.
For newer hulls, invisible repairs can be easier since you can buy color matched patching kits. For older hulls, perfect matches are tougher and generally require the blending of areas much larger than just the crack.
Thank you!

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Dremel tool, tape , sandpaper and waxed gelcoat would do the trick for the best match. You could mix your own or Grady sells it to match (somewhat). That small of a job I would mix my own.
Thanks!

JerseySure

Reaction score
Website
www.psywarrior.com
Model
Fisherman 216
Does anyone have advice on how to fix a small crack to prevent water damage? Thanks
A couple of years ago I had a significant scratch in the gel coat. The boat was less than a year old at the time. I purchased a Spectrum Color repair kit from the dealer to fix it that matched up the unique color of my Grady 2019 Fisherman 216. It was fairly simple to follow the instructions that came with the "Patch Paste Gel Coat Repair in Grady White off White #14-18". It's been over two years and I would have a difficult time to show you where the scratch was on the gunnel of the boat.
Since that time two very minor 1.5 inch hair cracks have developed at two very different spots. One on the anchor hatch cover and one near a snap button screw on a seat cover snap. I went into my tool kit to find the repair kit had a shelf life of 6 months.It was all dried up. I've ordered a new kit and plan to use it once it arrives. There are 8 steps that come with the kit. Anyone that ever waxed a boat or car and sandpapered a piece of wood can do it very carefully. The only thing I would do differently from the instructions would be to drill a very tiny hole at the end of the hair line crack to keep it from continuing and to use my Dremel tool to widen the cracks to allow for a clean area for the new gel coat to grab on securely and to be water tight. Good Luck and take your time.

seasick

Reaction score
Spectrum match pretty well if the hull is not too old as mentioned. For older hulls that may have faded, the match won't be as good

ScituateBoater

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
A couple of years ago I had a significant scratch in the gel coat. The boat was less than a year old at the time. I purchased a Spectrum Color repair kit from the dealer to fix it that matched up the unique color of my Grady 2019 Fisherman 216. It was fairly simple to follow the instructions that came with the "Patch Paste Gel Coat Repair in Grady White off White #14-18". It's been over two years and I would have a difficult time to show you where the scratch was on the gunnel of the boat.
Since that time two very minor 1.5 inch hair cracks have developed at two very different spots. One on the anchor hatch cover and one near a snap button screw on a seat cover snap. I went into my tool kit to find the repair kit had a shelf life of 6 months.It was all dried up. I've ordered a new kit and plan to use it once it arrives. There are 8 steps that come with the kit. Anyone that ever waxed a boat or car and sandpapered a piece of wood can do it very carefully. The only thing I would do differently from the instructions would be to drill a very tiny hole at the end of the hair line crack to keep it from continuing and to use my Dremel tool to widen the cracks to allow for a clean area for the new gel coat to grab on securely and to be water tight. Good Luck and take your time.
Thank you!

Reactions: JerseySure