Fixing marinetex spots help

Reaction score
I have marinetex spots all over my boat. I want to know if there is a product that i can closely match the color of the original gelcoat after i sand down the spots. I still need to buff the boat. Also wondering if i need to reseal the ends on the transom.
IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg

i know... have ordered new striping...

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes there is. The process depends on how perfect you would like it to be. If you would prefer the invisable repair, visit a pro. If you are willing to accept a marginal job, give it a try on your own. Some good info can be found on Jamestown Distributors web site. From the pictures the professional repair should not be too expensive. I have not been sucessfull matching the spectrum color matched gelcoat to my boat and have taken to mixing my own tint. Spraying can be accomplished with a Preval disposable spray canister.
Yes you want to seal the transom cap. I have also used 4000 to seal the entire perimeter of the cap as I do not know how well it is sealed underneath.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=preval_sprayer

Reaction score
good info, thank you ... i think i will try fixing some of the spots below the water line and see how that goes... the more noticeable ones i might get a pro.

seasick

Reaction score
1st grady said:
Yes there is. The process depends on how perfect you would like it to be. If you would prefer the invisable repair, visit a pro. If you are willing to accept a marginal job, give it a try on your own. Some good info can be found on Jamestown Distributors web site. From the pictures the professional repair should not be too expensive. I have not been sucessfull matching the spectrum color matched gelcoat to my boat and have taken to mixing my own tint. Spraying can be accomplished with a Preval disposable spray canister.
Yes you want to seal the transom cap. I have also used 4000 to seal the entire perimeter of the cap as I do not know how well it is sealed underneath.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=preval_sprayer
Unfortunately, you can't remove the top transom metal strip with the motor attached. You can seal the ends and outside edges but if there is a wet transom, it will stay wet. I wouldn't seal the inside edge to avoid trapping any moisture if there is any under the strip.
I also suggest that you remove old sealant before applying new. You will get a better seal and a better looking job.
I almost forgot. You can remove the screws that you can get to to look for water issues and rot. If all is well, put sealant in the holes before replacing the screws to reduce water intrusion.

Reaction score
thanks for that... i had the boat surveyed and he said there was no evidence of water inside the hull. The boat has always been trailerd also, i just noticed that the sealer was pulling away from everything. The guy i bought it from also kept a cover on it... it's under a waterproof cover now.

seasick

Reaction score
192 said:
thanks for that... i had the boat surveyed and he said there was no evidence of water inside the hull. The boat has always been trailerd also, i just noticed that the sealer was pulling away from everything. The guy i bought it from also kept a cover on it... it's under a waterproof cover now.

You really can't tell if the transom has water without a moisture meter. Water in or not in the hull (bilge) doesn't tell you much about the transom. Of course if the transom is really rotten, you can tell by tapping and listening for the sounds of delaminated fiberglass.
Now if the sealant is 'pulling away' from everything because it it loose or shrunk, that's not a concern. If the sealant is 'pulling away' because of swelling of the laminations, that can mean there are problems.
Hopefully, all you need is new sealant.
Good luck.