Flag/Burgee options

Chris Mac

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
Good day, looking for insight on adding a flag/burgee holder to my hardtop. I don’t have rooftop fishing rod holders. Appreciate any advice on what options may be available.
Thank you,
Chris

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
you can use your Antenna. They sell clips or use zip ties.

seasick

Reaction score
Depending on your antenna and the size of the burgee, it may put excessive strain on the antenna. I am not a fan of mounting flags on antennas.
The typical mounting spot is the bow railing. There are various options available for mounting. Many Gradys have a hole in the most forward rail 'V' connector and that connector has a set screw. The standard available short flag masts fit that hole. A word of caution: If you use that hole with the set screw, it is strongly advised that you add a tether like a wire line clamped to the rail and the flag mast. The set screw mounts have a tendency to vibrate loose and the flag and mat can come loose and present a risk for personal harm and/or boat damage. In addition, it the mast comes loose and doesn't hit anything, it will probably fly over the windshield, out the back and into the sea. It has happened to me and others on this forum.

One other thing to think about is that although it may be too ugly weather wise to take the boat out, even at the dock or on land, the burgee will take a beating in stormy/windy weather. I have a sleeve with a tie chord that I use to reduce damage to the flag when the boat is docked. I roll the flag around the mast and slip the cover over it, tying the draw string around the rail. It looks like the sleeves you get with an umbrella. Your burgee/flag will last a lot longer when protected form the wind, rain and sun.

Reactions: PDX-Boats

PDX-Boats

Reaction score

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
1614695489555.png I mounted one of these to one of the uprights on my hardtop and use a removeable flag. It is off to one side but works well and flag lasts longer.

Chris Mac

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 307
Thank you for the great replies all! My Grady doesn’t have any railing around bow. I just got it late last season and cannot wait to get it back out on the lake!

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I just got a flag pole and mount. It screwed right into hard top.

Attachments

• IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    939.5 KB · Views: 11

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Depending on your antenna and the size of the burgee, it may put excessive strain on the antenna. I am not a fan of mounting flags on antennas.
The typical mounting spot is the bow railing. There are various options available for mounting. Many Gradys have a hole in the most forward rail 'V' connector and that connector has a set screw. The standard available short flag masts fit that hole. A word of caution: If you use that hole with the set screw, it is strongly advised that you add a tether like a wire line clamped to the rail and the flag mast. The set screw mounts have a tendency to vibrate loose and the flag and mat can come loose and present a risk for personal harm and/or boat damage. In addition, it the mast comes loose and doesn't hit anything, it will probably fly over the windshield, out the back and into the sea. It has happened to me and others on this forum.
Does anyone know the size of the set-screw?

seasick

Reaction score
a quarter inch diameter maybe but for certain the size of the Allen key hole is 1/8th inch.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just a tip - lots of wind up there - I have rod holders and I use one for the flag but have had the flag launch under certain circumstances such as speend and wind, I drilled a hole on the bottom of a wooden flag pole and use a wire tie to secure it to the bottom of the rod holder - never had another issue

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a flag and staff fly out of the bow mount years ago, and almost take my head off, when it hit the top of the windshield frame right in front of my face. No flags for me.

seasick

Reaction score
I had a flag and staff fly out of the bow mount years ago, and almost take my head off, when it hit the top of the windshield frame right in front of my face. No flags for me.
I had the same experience. The cloth of the burgee brushed my ear as it flew by!
I don't run a flag up there anymore but if I did as Legend says, I would connect a safety wire to it and the rail.