Floating Dock Experience?

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Any experience with a floating/drive-on dock for a Freedom 215? Received a quote for Wave Armor "Extreme 24" for 15.5K. Dock Blocks told me their solution would not work with my bottom paint. Sea Pen quoted 28K.

Thanks!

seasick

Reaction score
Where will the boat be docked in the off season if there is one and if so, do you get freezing temps?
Do you have any electric service available at the dock. If so, something like Hydrohoist might work. https://www.boatlift.com/boat-lifts/

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Thanks, here in Charleston SC no ice and the boat will be in the water year-round. Yes there is electrical service.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Side question... did Dock Blocks say what they said because it will wear the bottom paint off? If that's the reason, then that's probably a moot point for you since you don't need the bottom paint anymore?

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
No, Dock Blocks said the bottom pain would cause the boat to get stuck on the dock-- would be too difficult to pull back off even with their winching device. Agree that any of these devices would likely abrade off the bottom pain but that is not a concern if the boat is out of the water.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No, Dock Blocks said the bottom pain would cause the boat to get stuck on the dock-- would be too difficult to pull back off even with their winching device. Agree that any of these devices would likely abrade off the bottom pain but that is not a concern if the boat is out of the water.
Hmmm. Seems odd that plastic would grip onto bottom paint that hard? I suppose the bottom paint would wear away rather quickly in the spots it touches the blocks, though. Oh well - sorry for the slight off topic there :)

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I agree. The reluctance to sell me their product once they heard I have bottom paint was interesting. I am assuming they have experienced issues. This is one of the reasons I am being more cautious with the drive-on plastic products and seeing if anyone has experience!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I agree. The reluctance to sell me their product once they heard I have bottom paint was interesting. I am assuming they have experienced issues. This is one of the reasons I am being more cautious with the drive-on plastic products and seeing if anyone has experience!
My "guess" is they had a complaint or two from customers (maybe overly picky customers?) and they made a blanket decision to just recommend against it. But that's only a guess. Hopefully someone with personal experience will jump in.

You might look to more general boating forums for this question, as well - since, in this case, the brand of boat doesn't really matter.

Was there a reason you didn't want to use a lift? Those seem to be more popular for boats larger than jet skis - I don't own one, but have used them plenty of times and they work well.

Gulffisher

Reaction score
While not exactly related, I wanted to remind you. In salt water environments, do not use steel, including stainless steel, fasteners with aluminum framing/hardware unless you can find appropriate coating or isolators. The aluminum in contact with SS will quickly corrode and the connections will fail during the next bad storm.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
if it will rub off bottom paint, will it wear through gel coat?

Oceantroller

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 249
I would go with a boat lift. That way you don't have to worry about boat wake storms and wind.I have had several different boats on lifts and really like them.

Attachments

• 9EBC47EC-396B-46DB-99EB-D552515C5138.jpeg
    9EBC47EC-396B-46DB-99EB-D552515C5138.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

DDst

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any experience with a floating/drive-on dock for a Freedom 215? Received a quote for Wave Armor "Extreme 24" for 15.5K. Dock Blocks told me their solution would not work with my bottom paint. Sea Pen quoted 28K.

Thanks!
Hello , I have the Wave Armor X24 , love it . I have a 2006 228 no problem on and off , just a little learning curve . Could not put a lift in were the boat is located , this was the best solution . I have had lifts before like this better .
Doug