Floor Panel Seal

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What is the correct sealant to use for the floor panels? I need to remove the one down in the cabin this weekend to replace the bilge float switch. It is currently sealed in with clear silicone. The one's on the deck are some type of white sealant.

Is 4200 the correct caulking or should I just use something like White UV stabilized Silicone?

seasick

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
What is the correct sealant to use for the floor panels? I need to remove the one down in the cabin this weekend to replace the bilge float switch. It is currently sealed in with clear silicone. The one's on the deck are some type of white sealant.

Is 4200 the correct caulking or should I just use something like White UV stabilized Silicone?

Use clear,white or almong GE Bathroom Silicone. The almond isn't a bad match and wont stand out like the white (assuming an off-white floor color). The bathroom silicone has a mildicide which you will help stops things from growing in the caulk

gw204

Reaction score
I've used 4000UV fast cure on the '93 and earlier boats than have faded. Turns out really nice.

Line the gaps with blue painters tape first. Caulk, smooth it with a wet finger, pull the tape, smooth it w/ a wet finger again to flatten out the edges where the tape was. You have be kind of quick, especially if your working in the direct sunlight.

IMG_8587.jpg

IMG_8588.jpg

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Cool, I did get the Painters tape and a plastic scraper to level the caulk. If the scraper does not work, back to the finger! Thanks!

gw204

Reaction score
Plastic scraper. Great idea! That's probably better than the finger techique. :goodjob

You could also use a snap-on cap from a milk jug.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The finger works great with a little water and dish soap. I fill a small cup with water and a squirt of dish soap, wet my finger and slider it on the caulk bead two times -- first with tape down and second to flatten down tape edge. Second time I apply very little pressure.

Reactions: Ozz043

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW204 you need to caulk you the outside flange of your 6" inpection plate. Water will get in there and corrode the sending unit. Been there... Good idea with the milk cap

Curmudgeon

Reaction score

4200 is an adhesive and sealant, and you'll learn to hate the adhesive part if/when you have to remove the cover again. Use the sealant, you're not gluing anything down ... :wink:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That is good to know. I will try and return the 4200 expensive stuff and just use bathroom tub and tile caulk in white since it is supposed to help with mildew. I just thought there would be something better as it does not last long in the bathtub/shower in the house without mildew stains in less than a year. But, I do notice some of the existing caulking on the boat is showing the same signs.

Was hoping that the marine formula's were better at preventing these ugly stains.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I used GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath. 3 years and no growth ... :wink:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, that is good enough for me. Will go get some. :D

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Curmudgeon, good choice on the bathroom tub and tile silicone II. It went great and looks perfect. I really liked the flow characteristics of this caulk. It was easy to work with and when pulling the tape, it really did not leave any tape lines. It seemed to flow some before setting up. It dries quickly too!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. Caulking can be a real messy pain at times ... :wink:

Fishtales

Reaction score
The GE Silicone in almond is the choice. It is what the factory uses as well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm going to try some waterproof white tape and forgo the caulking method!

Ken
That is pretty much the literal definition of "a bandaid fix" ;) Probably best to just do it right - applying silicone is not a hard thing to do. BUT - the tape will work... till it doesn't.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I did the GE silicone in Almond along with the painters tape and it turned out great. Just taping over the crack is not a good fix, the boat moves and flexes while underway, do it right with the caulk.

Ozz043

Reaction score
El Jefe .... good tip with soapy water, I’ve always used spit or metho.

Cheers

Reactions: Willy-C