Florida to Bimini trip

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So who has done the trip from Florida over to Bimini in their Grady? We are thinking of trailering our Marlin down to Ft Lauderdale and running it over for a week or so. Any input from the group?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have done it with my 228. You should run from Miami though as it's a straight shot versus Ft. Lauderdale. We ran from Key Largo because we met up with friends there . We stayed at Bimini sands. It's not the Abacos . It's nice for what it is and the waters are very sharky. I would go again.

Reactions: Jrspawn

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
JRspawn,
You will want to get detailed info on the Bahamas COVID requirements before you go. It's like. 55 miles out of Miami to Bimini . If you don't want to mess with Haulover inlet you could motor down to Blackpoint Marina and head out through Biscayne Bay.
The other thing is to check customs and border patrol website as they had , probably still do, this boater program where can meet up with your nearest customs house and get a local boater ID number and they essentially clear you per se ahead of time . You would fill out your trip itenary on line ,when you're going and with who ,passport info, and such and your trip is in their system. Then when come back you call a toll free number and check into customs over the phone and it's that easy. We did bring all our passengers to the custom house to get their ID and passports registered to our number. It's been a couple years ,but doing this ahead of time is really worth it. Otherwise you will have to clear American customs like in the Port of Miami or Fort Lauderdale . It's more of hassle to do all that than to get precleared .

Bring a second anchor . In fact bring spare props,spare water fuel separators and such. I would also suggest you bring some of your dry food over too. For instance I like pretzels when I go trolling or white cheddar cheese it's. You can make sure you have those things with you. Bimini has grocery stores one has dirt floors but your selections may be limited especially after COVID stuff.

Feel free to ask any questions you want. I have been to the Abacos in my 228 and Bimini and have flown to the Exumas a few times . I love the Abacos and Exumas .I like Bimini. The Abacos are still way not recovered from the hurricane in 2019.

Reactions: Jrspawn