Florida Trip

Reaction score
I'm taking the family down to the Keys this fall (weather permitting) and want at least one day with the kids on the boat. My kids are a bit young for a day dedicated to fishing, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about day trips that the kids would enjoy. They love just being on the boat but also like exploring uninhabited islands, playing on the beach, the usual 3 and 4 year-old stuff.

We're most likely staying on Islamorada.

I'll probably post this on the Forida/Georgia forum on The Hull Truth as well, but thought I'd start in the GW community.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jaydub

Reaction score
Stayed in Hawk's Cay in Marathon a number of years ago and had a great time with the kids. Didn't have my boat with me but they have a lot of options for boaters. Kids swam with the dolphins which was a big hit. I'd think from Marathon you should still be able to get in a great day of fishing.

ahill

Reaction score
There aren't many beaches in the keys. Depending on your budget Hawk's Key is great but pricey. There are many mom & pop motels with ramp & dockage starting in lower Key Largo and south. Rock Reef, Pops and many others mostly on bayside. Internet will give you a wide variety of good choices.
Rates spike and availability shrinks at lobster mini season and again with regular lobster season.

G8RDave

Reaction score
Captain Bill is definitely the guy to talk to. He also posts on FloridaSportsman.com. He answered many of my questions regarding heading down there for lobstering later this year and gave me information that no one else but a true local would have. As an alternative you could ask your question on the Keys section of the Floridasportsman board. Tons of great info.

Banana River View

Reaction score
Are you taking your boat? Have you been to the keys before? Let me just say this, unless you are taking a boat or renting a boat the keys do not offer a lot for 3 to 4 year olds. I always tell my friends not to go to the keys unless you have a boat unless you just want to go bar hopping.

If your taking a boat then you can take your kids to some nice places to swim/snorkel. Beaches are very limited to non existant. Shore line is coral and lime stone rock in most places.

There is a small beach area in Islamorada just south (west) of the Caloosa Cove condos. We have stayed there several times. The rooms are reasonable and they also have a marina if you are bringing a boat. The dockmaster (Jim) is a little grumpy but ok once you get to know him. There is a nice pool and the rooms have full kitchens etc. Pretty nice place at a reasonable cost. Hawks Cay is nice but $$$$$$.
Check out Caloosa Cove at http://caloosacove.com/.

I have been to the Keys a lot and it is fun if you have a boat for the activities.

If your just wanting to go to the beach and have activities for your kids then just look into Sanibel Island on the west coast of Fl. Can get a decent rate on a condo on the beach and some have activities for kids of all ages. White sandy beaches with calm water (all of west coast).

Stay away from Daytona Beach and Cocoa Beach on east coast. Go further south to Vero Beach, Jensen Beach, Stuart (Hutchinson Island). Nice beaches but water can be rough compared to west coast.

Hope this helps... Don

Hope this helps... Don

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I took my son to the keys for the first time when he was 4 and we had a blast. He is 19 now and I bet we have been there at least once a year since. As he got older what we did changed but there was always something for him to do. There are things for kids to do, you just have to look for them.

At age 4 most of the stuff we did was for him (and Mom) and we kinda stayed away from fishing and boating. Visited several "tourist" spots but his favorites were the nature centers, aquariums, glassbottom boats, conch train, etc. One thing we did at that age was hop our way down the Keys and only stayed a couple of days in each area. That way everything was fresh for him.

I did find was his main attraction at every stop was the swimming pool. He wanted to spend hours in the pool. I have said we could have gone to any hotel any where and he would have liked it.

Another attraction is Pennekamp State Park. When he was young he played on the beach. Next couple of trips he was snorkeling in the "kids" area. They have replica cannons sunk in the area that the kids love to find. Then moved up to a snorkel trip from the park to a shallow reef and the statue.

In Islamorada I would recommend the Islander Resort. It is a family oriented place with all ground level rooms with kitchenettes. Park right outside your door (easy to get toys and such back and forth). They have a great pool.

Enjoy your trip.

striped bass

Reaction score
Bob's Cay has a good idea to hop around to different places. Even Key West has some good attractions. Truman Beach is very accommodating and uncrowded. The main beach on the south side is shallow and calm for kids. Mallory Square at sunset is definitely a fun attraction for kids of all ages. Hemingway's house may be too advanced for a 4 year old but there are many cats (descendants from the original Hemingway group) for the kids to enjoy. There are some fun boat charters out to Sandy Key and other off shore swimming/snorkeling spots.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Key West isn't the most kid friendly, most of the island revolves around alcohol and it's one of the most expensive to stay at in the chain.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We always found something for my son to do in Key West, you just have to look. Now granted sometimes it was tough for old Dad to walk by some fun to head for a kid's activity...

One very important bit of advide I would give all. Both for families and adults. Go online and check the activities scheduled for that week in Key West. There might be something you want to avoid (like Fantasyfest) or attend (like Fantasyfest). The Chamber of Commerce or Tourist Board usually post a schedule.

Reaction score
All:
Thanks for all of your input; it has been a big help in planning this trip, especially the recommendation to get in touch w/ cpt. Bill and the specific lodging recommendations. I'll post some pics when we get back (October).