flush dash panel for 2004 282 Sailfish. Anyone done this?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Outstanding job! Very clean look, and I like the idea of the foam core before installing the access hatch. Are you going to install a partition (piece of 1/4" starboard, etc) inside the compartment, to prevent anything kep in there from going up against the back of the display heads?

I haven't done that yet, but I plan to something, as would like to keep a pair of binoculars in there, and I already have a few books, pencils, etc that I don't want to be hitting the wiring and connectors, when sea coditions get a little 'bumpy'.

Very nice, Bob, and thanks for posting.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the complement Bill and thanks to my wife for posting the pictures. I tried with no success,
I figured the spray foam would give back some of the intregrity lost from cutting the hole. I have to say that the dash is very well constructed and strong but it couldn't hurt. The pencils were stuck there temporarily to keep the space even. The gap was tighter by the rigging tube to the hardtop. I will tighten that back up today. The hatch I used was bought locally but I had later found it at the Overtons website. It's 13"x17" overall. I like it for numerous reasons. Color is Seafoam (at Overtons/ Off white). Screws are hidden when closed, Has built in rubber seal and to answer your question about a divider it also has built in dove tail notches to allow a drop in tray to go in. Overtons sells the hatch with a free tray for 79.99. I paid 103.00 just for the hatch. Oh well :x So I am going to buy the tray and modify it to clear the 2 displays. I'm not sure how deep the tray is but if needed I will modify that too. This is much easier then installing a divider which would need to be removed to work on wiring or displays. It would be similar to the tackle tray under the rear seat.

Capt Bill said:
Outstanding job! Very clean look, and I like the idea of the foam core before installing the access hatch. Are you going to install a partition (piece of 1/4" starboard, etc) inside the compartment, to prevent anything kep in there from going up against the back of the display heads?

I haven't done that yet, but I plan to something, as would like to keep a pair of binoculars in there, and I already have a few books, pencils, etc that I don't want to be hitting the wiring and connectors, when sea coditions get a little 'bumpy'.

Very nice, Bob, and thanks for posting.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I looked around for a drop-in tray, but had no luck. If you get a chance, post the dimensions of the tray that you will be getting. I may be able to make it work, but I am thinking that a divider that is slid into a track (also routed out of some starboard), would be quickly removable, and provide the most useable storage, albeit not contained as well as the drop-in tray.