Flush mount Garmin 4212 in overhead Radio Box

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Here's a winter update I did to add a 2nd 12" screen on my 2005 282.

I really don't care to have single source electronics since if the head unit of the MFD goes out you end up losing all your electronics. This winter I decided to add a 4212 to my 5212 so that I had full network and independent operation of all functions. Last year I added the GHP 10, so now everything is networked and can be controlled from either head unit, including Sonar, Radar, Auto Pilot, XM Audio, and integration with my Icom and Standard Horizon DSC list that shows the other boats with MMSI numbers I have pre-programmed on either plotter. Will be adding an AIS receiver soon.

To flush mount up top I removed the acrylic door and had TAP Plastics copy and router out a flush mount panel made from ABS. The acrylic is too weak and will crack trying to hold a heavy unit like a 4212 in. I then tapped the holes and counter sunk, and made my own hold down brackets for the flush mount panel. I thought about trying to match the Grady color, but thought it looked better matching the other radio door. Still have to hard mount the Sat phone in the port side of the radio box, then should be done for a bit.

main.php