Flushing '90 vintage Yamaha 250s

LI Grady

Reaction score
New owner of a 1990 Marlin with twin Yamaha 250's here and I'm stumped. I have the standard "ear muffs" to flush to motor with fresh water, I've watched the yard run the motors on land using them, I know how to use them and know that its considered standard if not mandatory practice to flush outboards after running in saltwater. Now the question.

How? Seriously with the boat in the water and the engines tilted all the way up I cannot reach out far enough to put the ear muffs in position to flush the motors. I must be missing something. I know newer motors have a garden hose type inlet. Any chance there is a way to retro fit one?

At this point my thoughts are to just have the yard pull the boat every month or two and flush the motors with salt-x, but that's gonna really cut into the bait & beer budget.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It's not something I'd really worry about. Later models have a hose adapter but there's not enough pressure from the fresh water washdown to flush! Flush w/ salt-x at the end of the season and when the day comes to replace gaskets, soak water jackets in a salt-x solution.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ditto

instead, dump and hand wipe clean the oil tanks and do all the filters, add new oil to tanks.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is my first outboard powered boat. I'm used to straight inboards so all of this (oil tanks, flushing, etc) is new.

One less thing to do at the end of the day...I'm not going to complain