Flushing drains on 228 seafarer and help winterizing

Sba

Reaction score
I have a 228 seafarer a 2007 and run a 250 yam- 9.9 kicker. Have owned it for 3 years . Stored it in heated building the first year , last 2 years unseated. No problems yet however I have a few questions if I could get some help and advice. I have been winterizing the boat myself but do not know if I am doing it correctly. First question . Should I pump Rv fluid through my live and if I should, what is the easy way. Wash down pump also. In the head I pulled the porta potty and plugged both lines and shut off mascerator and poured Rv fluid into the lines. Turn on faucet and ran water out and put Rv fluid in fresh water tank, ran shower until pink same with faucet . Only put in 2 gal . Faucet ran a little pink out but quit run fluid.I no longer want to use the faucet or potty, or do I need fresh water in the 10 gal tank. Big question, Is it ok to run a hose spray through the white holes on the deck through out
the boat.?Do they all hook together and drain out through the bottom holes in the side, would the be damaged by a spray hose . Do they ever get clogged? E-mail sbandrasik@aol.com

Any help would be appreciated Thank You

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 228 seafarer a 2007 and run a 250 yam- 9.9 kicker. Have owned it for 3 years . Stored it in heated building the first year , last 2 years unseated. No problems yet however I have a few questions if I could get some help and advice. I have been winterizing the boat myself but do not know if I am doing it correctly.
First question . Should I pump Rv fluid through my live and if I should, what is the easy way. Wash down pump also
- yes for both pumps the easiest way is suck the pink up from the through hull pickups. the easies is with a plunger end with a hose attached to pour the pink stuff In. Run the pumps until the lines are running pink.

. In the head I pulled the porta potty and plugged both lines and shut off mascerator and poured Rv fluid into the lines. Not sure on winterization of a porta potty mine is a marine head.

Turn on faucet and ran water out and put Rv fluid in fresh water tank, ran shower until pink same with faucet . Only put in 2 gal . I
f the lines ran pink you should be okay, Don't forget to run the windshield washer if you have one. I assume
you do not have a hot water tank. If you do have on it needs to be drained and bypassed. I fund the easiest way is to drain the hot water of fresh water and then add enough pink so that you can flush the hot water lines,

Faucet ran a little pink out but quit run fluid.I no longer want to use the faucet or potty, or do I need fresh water in the 10 gal tank. t
The fresh water tank should be run dry if the faucet did not run pink you probably haave not added enough pink. try another gallon

Big question, Is it ok to run a hose spray through the white holes on the deck through out
the boat.?Do they all hook together and drain out through the bottom holes in the side, would the be damaged by a spray hose . Do they ever get clogged?
It is okay to run spray through the deck drains we have a couple of Golden retrievers on our boat and they always get clogged with fur. Just blast them clean

good luck
E-mail sbandrasik@aol.com

Any help would be appreciated Thank You

Sba

Reaction score
Thanks Legend , don’t understand about the plunger but I think you may be referring to the seacock lever you pull it up or close it by pushing it up or down like a plunger. I will go outside my boat when it is on the trailer and try to hold a pan of rv around the intakes while turning the pumps on,may you mean holding a rubber plunger around the intakes while pouring the rv in

Last edited:

Sba

Reaction score
Thanks Legend , don’t understand about the plunger but I think you may be referring to the seacock lever you pull it up or close it by pushing it up or down like a plunger. I will go outside my boat when it is on the trailer and try to hold a pan of rv around the intakes while turning the pumps on,may you mean holding a rubber plunger around the intakes while pouring the rv in

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
yes rubber cup around the intake - I've seen people use the plunger as a ready made cup.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you want to buy a pre-made "plunger", google for Fake-A-Lake. The problem can sometimes be access while on a trailer. Rollers or bunks could interfere... crawling on your back... but it certainly can do the job. Depending on access inside the boat... for me, I just remove the hose off the seacock and stick it into a jug of pink stuff.

You don't need to remove the porta-potty. Since you have a pump-out, after your last "empty", run some fresh water (with cleaner, if you want) through a couple times (direct into the bottom half) and then finish with some pink stuff. Done.

"Holes" in deck... are you referring to the overboard deck drains? Those should self drain. Put whatever you want in there - including blasting them with a spray to help clean them out. If you want, pour a little bit of pink stuff into them at the end (but only if the boat will remain out of the weather after this).

FYI... especially if you drink the fresh water... the fresh water tank and the hot water tank DO NOT need to have antifreeze added to them - they will not be damaged by any residual water remaining. It just makes for a lot more flushing in the Spring. Drain them/run dry. Then bypass the HWH and disconnect the line from the fresh water tank. Stick the line from the fresh water tank into a jug of antifreeze and turn on your faucets till a good stream of pink comes out. The lines will still need flushing come Spring, but they flush pretty quickly.

Sba

Reaction score
If you want to buy a pre-made "plunger", google for Fake-A-Lake. The problem can sometimes be access while on a trailer. Rollers or bunks could interfere... crawling on your back... but it certainly can do the job. Depending on access inside the boat... for me, I just remove the hose off the seacock and stick it into a jug of pink stuff.

You don't need to remove the porta-potty. Since you have a pump-out, after your last "empty", run some fresh water (with cleaner, if you want) through a couple times (direct into the bottom half) and then finish with some pink stuff. Done.

"Holes" in deck... are you referring to the overboard deck drains? Those should self drain. Put whatever you want in there - including blasting them with a spray to help clean them out. If you want, pour a little bit of pink stuff into them at the end (but only if the boat will remain out of the weather after this).

FYI... especially if you drink the fresh water... the fresh water tank and the hot water tank DO NOT need to have antifreeze added to them - they will not be damaged by any residual water remaining. It just makes for a lot more flushing in the Spring. Drain them/run dry. Then bypass the HWH and disconnect the line from the fresh water tank. Stick the line from the fresh water tank into a jug of antifreeze and turn on your faucets till a good stream of pink comes out. The lines will still need flushing come Spring, but they flush pretty quickly.
Thank guys , potty is pulled out don’t want to use it also don’t want to use fresh water tank anymore, , you advice was very helpful, I do not have a hot water heater , I just didn’t want to mess with the fresh water and porta potty every year just wanted to drain both and leave them dry, livewell and wash down I use and will have to run pink through it every fall . Thanks again gentleman