Flushing Engine w/ Fresh Water

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I keep the boat on a mooring in salt water, and it is difficult to get to a dock with a hose where I can flush the engine with fresh water. The boat carries 11 gal of fresh water. It would be great if I could flush some of that through the Yammi, but the only outlet of the freshwater system is the Shower head hose on the transom. Its alot like a hand rinse in a kitchen sink...no threads to connect to the engine's external intake.

Is there a solution to that which others have found? I imagine I could remove the hand shower head, and replace it with a threaded fitting. Then I would have to keep a handsower head in the boat to thread on to that when needed...

Am I out of my mind? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

PS - Picked the boat up today - she is back on the mooring...damn, I'm happy!

Grady678

Reaction score
Not to complicate things......nontheless, I'm guessing your freshwater pump will not generate enough PSI to flush the engine. The Y fitting will even degrade the PSI even lower. If it doesn't work.....no worries, just upgrade the pump.

I'm just sayin'.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grady678 said:
Not to complicate things......nontheless, I'm guessing your freshwater pump will not generate enough PSI to flush the engine. The Y fitting will even degrade the PSI even lower. If it doesn't work.....no worries, just upgrade the pump.

I'm just sayin'.

I did it on my buddies Wellcraft with Evinrude motor and it worked great. I don't know what pump he has but it was the standard that came with the boat.