Flushing engines

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents: Here is a tip I got more than a year ago from a Yamaha mechanic. After changing my thermostats which were looking really bad, he suggested I run Salt Away thru the engines when flushing them. Well I have been doing it ever since and last week I had the thermostats changed (200 hour later) and the difference this time was significant. So I recommend it to you all......the tip is to run Salt Away thru the engines when flushing them, follow the directions on the jug. It will pay for itself in preventive maintenance.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting. If you don't mind I am just curious of a few variables.
Have you owned the boat since new? What has been your flushing routine, garden hose hook up or muffs?
How many hours were on the motors before you changed the T-stats?
Just wondering if its possible the previous owner didn't flush the motor appropriately and caused the build up.
I know the salt away works great and can't hurt but like I said, just curious. :mrgreen:
Nick

Stonewall

Reaction score
I not only use Salt-Away to flush the engines, I use it to hose down the entire boat including my fishing rods and reels. It sure does make a difference especially after those offshore runs.

I spray it over the entire boat, wait a few minutes then rinse. All the salt residue goes away and it does not affect the wax. I buy a gallon at the beginning of the season and it will last all year.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For the curious: I bought the boat new, I am the only user. I flush engines after every use with fresh water via the hose. I change thermostats per the Yamaha engine book recommendation every 200 hours. I started using the Salt Away after the 400 hour point, been using it ever since. And I do rinse the engines outside with it also.