FM Antenna help

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
The fm antenna on my Seafarer is located in the cabin screwed lengthwise over the rod holders. I have not been pleased with the reception and looking for advise. My last boat had an 8 foot antenna mounted on the side of the center console and the local stations came in great up to 30 miles out. I still fish the same area but now lose signal 10 miles out. I still have the 8 foot loran antenna mounted in the boat and took it apart to see how it was made. After looking at it I decided to take a car fm antenna and attach the end without the plug to the circuit board in the antenna to see if it would work. I soldered the ends to the circuit board and put it back together. It seems to work...kind of, if i plug it part of the way in to the stereo it gets about the same reception as the antenna in the cabin. If I plug it all the way in the reception goes away. Does anyone know if it is possible to make the loran antenna work as a fm antenna? I searched the web and found one thing that refers to this. It was a guy that posted on tht back in 04 with the same question, nobody answered. It is not a big deal just figured since I already have the antenna it would be smart to try and use it. If nobody has any ideas then what would be a good choice for an 8 foot whip antenna for the ss Ratchet Lever Lay Down Antenna Mount.

catch22

Reaction score
Sounds like the "car" antenna is getting shorted out when you connect it all the way in. Must have something to do with the circuit board for the loran antenna.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to rig something up like that.

They do have splitters for a VHF antenna, (VHF/FM). I tried one... wasn't impressed. Wasn't cheap either... around $40.

Imo, get the proper antenna.

Here's one for under $50 that worked great for me in the past. http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Shakespe ... tenna.html

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I bought the amplified rubber ducky antenna for less than $20 and stashed it under the console. It works pretty well.

Beyond that, either the Digital 8' AM/FM or the Shakespeare will probably provide the best range.

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Your right no use in messing with it. Went out today and when we hit 8 miles my fav station started going in and out. Even my 14 year old said can we just turn it off(maybe he just doesnt like dads music?). I will pick up one of those ones you listed probably. Thanks for the input.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm running the 8' Shakespeare AM/FM and am happy with the performance. It's also mounted on my hardtop so that helps as well. It should still work for you better than the cabin mounted antenna.