fogging engine

kevgle

Reaction score
Hello, I need advice on fogging engines without running them.Usual process has been to run engines with yamalube fogging oil and fuel mixture through an aux.tank.Cant don that now.New winter storage marina has water turned off already.(not using them next year}.Engines are yamaha sx 200 hpdi Thanks

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I usually remove all spark plugs, spray a generous amount of fogging oil into each cylinder, put plugs back and crank engine a few times with emergency lanyard pulled so they do not start.

cosmic

Reaction score
Pulling the safety lanyard will let you turn the engine over a bit to get some fuel mix in there. The better option is to drain the VST tank and empty the fuel cup completely. Then take out each spark plug and spray a little fogging oil into each cylinder and good to go.

seasick

Reaction score
Hello, I need advice on fogging engines without running them.Usual process has been to run engines with yamalube fogging oil and fuel mixture through an aux.tank.Cant don that now.New winter storage marina has water turned off already.(not using them next year}.Engines are yamaha sx 200 hpdi Thanks
Generally it is not advisable to spry fogging oil into a runnimg fuel injected motor. It can cause contamination and clogging of the injectors.
I like others, remove the plugs, spray oil into all the cylinders and then rotate the motor by hand using the flywheel, 1 1/2 turns for a two stroke and 2 1/2 turns for a 4 stroke. Then spray oil again into each cylinder and rotate the flywheel a few turns. Replace the plugs. I do not oil the plug electrodes.
I also recommend draining the VST tank and the clear fuel filter bowl on the motor. Remember in the spring to use the primer bulb to refill the vst tank and clear fuel filter. You do not want to power the VST with an empty VST tank. In other words, do nor turn on the ignition or crank the motor until the vst is filled. It will take a fair number of squeezes.
In the spring, after filling the VST, I start the motor and let it warm up. I do not change the clear bowl filter or the main fuel separator or the plugs until I am sure the motor runs. That makes sure the gas is good and the fogging oil burns off. After all the junk is burned off, I will then replace filters and plugs if necessary.

Reactions: Sdfish