Fogging Yamaha F225 4 stroke engines

wkeenan

Reaction score
I have a pair of f225's on a Marlin 28 and i struggle with how much effort it takes to fog and add tuner to these engines. to fog/add tuner. It appears that you have to remove the silencer covers (you have to disco battery cables to do this), detach hoses, and alternately spray fog/tuner into each port. This is a lot of work and there is more than a small risk that bolts/nuts etc will drop into the water while you are doing this work. 2 questions: 1. Does any one know of a more efficient way to fog / add tuner to these engines? 2. I purchased Starbrite EZ-to-Store Stabilizer to add to the gas for winter storage. the brochure that came with this product, and i quote, says "This provides a corrosion fighting barrier that is as good as, and in many cases better than, the use of fogging oil. since these anti-corrosion additives are combined with the fuel, you get 100% protection throughout your fuel delivery system and combustion chambers. Our unique formula gives you double the protection when combined with fogging oil, but unlike competitive fuel stabilizers, Star brite's EZ-to-Store EZ-to-Start Gasoline Storage Additive can be used without fogging oil, making engine storage a simple one step process". On the surface, it makes sense that adding fogging oil to their stabilizer would be an easy way to fog the engine. Does anyone more knowledgeable than me have any thoughts as to whether this would be a viable alternative to manually fogging the engine for winter storage? Thanks

choogenboom

Reaction score
I just happen to have my F225 manual here at my desk and under storage/fogging and it says "Just prior to turning off the engine quickly spray "Yamaha Stor-Rite Engine Fogging Oil" alternately into the silencer cover. When properly done the engine will smoke excessively and almost stall"

It also says to remove all the plugs and spray fogging oil for 10 seconds directly into each cylinder, install the spark plugs, and then turn the engine over with the kill switch disconnected to work the fogging oil into the cylinders.

Brad1

Reaction score
According to Andy Jr at Shipyard Island Marina, it is not necessary to spray fogging oil into the intake on the F225. Just squirt it into the cylinders like the manual says.

jehines3

Reaction score
Any motor, any technology, any year can be fogged by removing the spark plug and spraying directly into the plug hole. Just be sure to crank the motor 2-3 seconds BEFORE reinserting the plugs. The oil, like water cannot be compressed. If you get too much in there it can do allot of damage if the plug is reinserted and the motor cranked. I would never spray anything down the intake of a computer controlled engine. There are too many that can damage expensive sensors in the intake. Of course if you have the manufacturers shop manual follow those instructions, otherwise play it safe and just do the plug method. jh

Brad1

Reaction score
Brad1 said:
According to Andy Jr at Shipyard Island Marina, it is not necessary to spray fogging oil into the intake on the F225. Just squirt it into the cylinders like the manual says.

BTW, Andy personally told me what I mentioned above when I called him after the spray tube shot off from my fogging oil can into the intake duct of the engine. He said that the way those intake ducts make a 180 degree turn before heading back towards the top of the block, there's no way you'd get fogging oil to them by spraying into the intake ducts. I had to remove the grill from the intake duct to get the spray tube out.

timmons

Reaction score
One last question. Should you run you engine until it stalls before storing it? Is this the same with a carburated engine and a fuel injected engine, as I have one of each. I get the advice about draining the fuel line, but should the engine be run dry? Thanks.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
timmons said:
One last question. Should you run you engine until it stalls before storing it? Is this the same with a carburated engine and a fuel injected engine, as I have one of each. I get the advice about draining the fuel line, but should the engine be run dry? Thanks.

what motors