Fold Down Bunk Capacity

Bumpye

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had an issue with the fold down bunk on a Gulfstream supporting an adult (under 200 lbs.). Talked to Grady and they say there SHOULD be no problem, but they do not publish a weight capacity for it. Looking at the screws that secure the straps makes me nervous. No backing plate, just two washers on what look like 1/4" bolts. All hardware and straps are in good condition. Thanks in advance.

seasick

Reaction score
I remember seeing a spec somewhere but I can't remember where that was. The weight rating was either 200 or so pounds if I remember correctly. That said, it would be advisable to check the integrity of the straps and hardware as part of routine annual maintenance.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I don't have the answer, but...

The 1/4" bolts are more than adequate. Since it seems like you might be able to get to the washer/nut (or bolt head... whatever is on the "boat side" of things... maybe add a small backer plate for good measure? It wouldn't have to be big, at all, to make difference.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thanks Seasick. I just find it strange that GW doesn't have any kind of spec on it. Looking at the brochure that came with the boat it just lists it as 2 berths, upper & lower. If they list it as a berth it should handle an adult unless they state otherwise.

I had the same thought Dennis. Just didn't want to have a plate sitting on top of the shelf forward of the helm station. Thinking if GW designed it for 200 lbs. or less, they didn't need a backing plate.

Thanks guys for your help.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If you don't get too amourous up there, you should be fine. I'm just under 200lbs and felt totally secure laying on the bunk.

• Love
Reactions: Bumpye