Folding transom

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Has anyone replaced their folding transom on a 265?

The one on the boat I bought is pretty beat up. Was maybe thinking replacing with starboard?

Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don't use Starboard. It's not structural and doesn't adhere with epoxy. Use Coosa board or marine plywood and glass it in. Done right done once!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think he's just talking about a simple, fold-down door at the transom? In that case, HDPE would be fine. Depending on how wide it is, it might "bow" easier against a wave, though, and come unhooked. However, a simple 1" L attached across to the top (or near, anyways) would solve that.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you can use the existing as a template, you should be ok. Maybe look for some thicker starboard as the material isn't great structurally. I used some 5/8" material and thought it was pretty decent.

Reactions: Saltyone

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you can use the existing as a template, you should be ok. Maybe look for some thicker starboard as the material isn't great structurally. I used some 5/8" material and thought it was pretty decent.
Agree. It's likely too big for 1/2" - at least not without reinforcement. 3/4" should also be easy to find.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I'm 99% certain it's not structural, as you fold it down when you lift the motors.

I'm pretty sure I could make a template with mine. I haven't measured the thickness of the existing one, but it's pretty thick as well, so 3/4 or 1 inch would probably be what I use.

Just trying to think on how to make/attach the top piece for the rods holders, etc

Picture isn't mine, but just to show what I'm referring to.Screenshot_20230101_094611_Chrome.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don't use Starboard. It's not structural and doesn't adhere with epoxy. Use Coosa board or marine plywood and glass it in. Done right done once!
Sorry I mis-understood what you are using starboard for. Should work fine. I have used Starboard to replace a few melamine panels that got water damaged. Came out great.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you can post some more pics from various angles, that would help.

Have you thought about just repairing the existing one and painting it? Got some pics of the condition?

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265

Have you thought about just repairing the existing one and painting it? Got some pics of the condition?
I'll get some tomorrow when I'm down working on the boat.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265

20230102_145823.jpg20230102_145828.jpg20230102_145843.jpg20230102_145900.jpg20230102_145906.jpg

Excuse the dirty mess, but gets you a better idea of what I'm looking at.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Man, what a shame. That's poor build quality - lot's of voids and such. That's definitely worse than I was imaging and, while not particularly "hard" to fix, it will be quite labor intensive.

So... what do you "need" or "want" a new door to be? Do you want the rod holders? Would you be happy if the new door was just a simple, flat door? You could always build a box near the top of the door to house rod holders. You could even make the box removable with thru-bolts or even wing nuts. I'm just thinking out loud there - but you get the idea... it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be done to match the existing setup.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Man, what a shame. That's poor build quality - lot's of voids and such. That's definitely worse than I was imaging and, while not particularly "hard" to fix, it will be quite labor intensive.

So... what do you "need" or "want" a new door to be? Do you want the rod holders? Would you be happy if the new door was just a simple, flat door? You could always build a box near the top of the door to house rod holders. You could even make the box removable with thru-bolts or even wing nuts. I'm just thinking out loud there - but you get the idea... it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be done to match the existing setup.
Probably will end up replacing the vertical pieces with starboard. Would be nice to replace the horizontal piece as well with starboard and be able to retain some rod holders.

Just trying to think of the best way to attach the top vertical with the horizontal starboard to create the "L" shape. Probably countersink some screws with epoxy, since I know starboard doesn't really epoxy well together by itself. Maybe a few L brackets on the underside as well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One way would be building the box as I mentioned. There are other ways - but that's a simple way. No need for brackets or epoxy (epoxy won't really help). If you make it out of PVC board you can also glue it together.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't see any rod holders, just 2 cup holders. Unless you are trying to go back original, instead of better, I would copy the Tournament gate in my post above. Eliminate the middle hinge, 1/2" starboard is plenty, 1/2" screws through the 2 piano hinges. The thickness of the hinge will keep them from penetrating the other side, and none of them show.