For Our Members Who Do Their Own Engine Work

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When reassembling parts, do you coat the threads with red grease, or anti seize compound? Boat used in salt water. Thanks.

Punch53

Reaction score
Evinrude Johnson gasket cement works best. Prevents corrosion, easy to dis-assemble and you don't get galvanic problems as you do with anti-seize.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
Punch53 said:
Evinrude Johnson gasket cement works best. Prevents corrosion, easy to dis-assemble and you don't get galvanic problems as you do with anti-seize.

X2, the best thing ever invented for threaded fasteners on salt water motors.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just out of curiosity, why do you mention "red" grease? A color doesn't really tell what type of grease it is. But, a little grease is better than nothing. I caution away from anti-seize as some of those formulations actually contain small amounts of metals - which could exacerbate corrosion (dissimilar metals). Merc makes a product called PerfectSeal which is fantastic. From the comments about the Johnson product, it sounds like the Johnson stuff might be similar.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I work at a Evinrude dealer so I have access to the gasket adhesive. 8)

It works well for reassembly.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Just out of curiosity, why do you mention "red" grease? A color doesn't really tell what type of grease it is. But, a little grease is better than nothing. I caution away from anti-seize as some of those formulations actually contain small amounts of metals - which could exacerbate corrosion (dissimilar metals). Merc makes a product called PerfectSeal which is fantastic. From the comments about the Johnson product, it sounds like the Johnson stuff might be similar.
g

The red grease is high pressure grease that is not supposed to wash off parts after continuous exposure to salt water. There is probably a more correct name for the product, but where I go fishing on the Eastern Shore, everyone just calls it red grease. I use it primarily on my prop and hub. Also seems to hold up well on the lug nuts on my trailer. Let me know, I'll go out to the barn and look for a can of it if you want to know the real name for it. It is VERY tacky and sticks like a champ.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
DennisG01 said:
Ky Grady said:
I work at a Evinrude dealer so I have access to the gasket adhesive. 8)

Take a guess how I became familiar with the Merc product... ;)

It has it's benefits working in the industry. :mrgreen:

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
glacierbaze said:
Yes, post the name.

Glacier: Here's the info on red grease.
Manufacturer: Sta-Lube, a subsidiary of CRC
Product Name: " Extreme Pressure Sta-Plex Premium Red Grease" (Lithium Based)
Part Number: SL3191
Technical Infomation Phone: 800.521.3168
Size 14 oz. can
I got it at NAPA, but you can get the same stuff at Walmart in a blue can for half the price. Is's really cool stuff. Rub some on your kids, they'll never get sunburned. Can also put in on a baking sheet before re-heating those cinnamon buns.

eppem

Reaction score
Depends on the bolt? Zinc bolt for the engine, yes the anti-seize that you can take apart, I think we call old guys call it red, its not grease. For any other bolt, a nice coating of Merc marine 24C grease. Got that advice from a Yammy mechanic I am friends with.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I use the red grease on my prop shaft and other nuts/bolts. That stuff is always there for every service interval, damn amazing stuff. Close to 700 hours on my Zukes and serviced every 100hrs without an issue.