FOR THE TRAILER GUYS: ALUMINUM OR GALVINIZED?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Am going with rollers. The trailer dlr sells Loadrites, all price levels - Load Rite, 5-Star, and Aluminum I-beams. I give up a little strength with the aluminum. Also, the aluminum model has aluminum rods to hold the roller assemblies. The 5-Star model has galvanized steel to hold the roller assemblies. For you gents that have some experience in whether to go with aluminum or steel, I'm open to your valued opinions. Thank you.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
The galvanized roller trailers that I have owned held up pretty well over time and I would probably go galvanized again. The issue I would have with aluminum is that one way or another there has to be a steel to aluminum interface and that junction is a problem. Keep in mind that aluminum, steel and salt water all in contact over time set up a reaction and essentially do not like each other. So if you go aluminum make sure the metals are well separated. Plastic pads or sleeves are used in between the aluminum to steel connections in the better trailers that I have seen.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I may be old school but prefer steel.

Go to a boat show and see what kind of trailers they have piled up in the back lot.

smontgomery

Reaction score
I like aluminum for salt water. Especially the I-beam construction since it does not hold water. Galvanized tube and box frame will always hold a little salt.

I also prefer bunks to rollers. I think there was a time when rollers were all the rage but that may not be the case any longer.

In my unprofessional opinion I think bunks better distribute the weight/pressure on the hull bottom as opposed to rollers.

My boat lives in the water most of the time so I don't put much thought into trailers. I have one simply to bring my 208 home once a year to "BOAT".........Bring On Another Thousand (or more).

Kenlahr

Reaction score
My Loadmaster is C beam constructed. It is easy to ensure the entire trailer is flushed. I chose galvanized because nearly every dunk will be in saltwater and I think it will hold up longer.

TBone

Reaction score
I have had steel frame trailers since I have been boating,

All the non-galvinazed box steel rotted out fast, that
goes with out saying.

One galvanized box frame showed signs of rot at the bends.

Currently have a 1978 C- frame Galvanized that is in great shape,
but is VERY HEAVY!

My Sailfish sits on a 1994 Boatmaster Aluminum I-Beam and
it is in near perfect shape (though axles are getting a little punky).
Not sure of the weight difference but i assume much lighter than
if she were steel.

If I had to buy again for a big boat, I would go with the Aluminum
I-beam, a small boat? probably Galvy steel.

Brad1

Reaction score
I like steel because it flexes less. But I'm a freshwater boater. If I were a saltwater boater, I'd probably opt for aluminum.