Foul Odor In Freshwater System

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Guys,

Maybe you can help me out. I have a 06 Sailfish. The water in the freshwater tank smells like sulphur especially the hot water. I drained the tank and refilled it 3x and each time treated it with Aquabon water treatment which states stops foul odors, algae, etc. from forming. However the water still smells after it sits for a couple of weeks. Any ideas or advice as to what to treat my water with to avoid this from happening? I dont use the water to drink just to wash the poles off or wash my hands. Thanks in advance for the help.

Erik

uncljohn

Reaction score
the sulpher smell probably permeated the plastic tank, so the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of the tank or permeate it with something else (bleach?) by leaving that solution in there for a few months.

nick1048

Reaction score
What is the source of water your using? If it's from a well than it could be natural sulphur from the ground that gives a "rotten egg" sort of odor, which is undesireable but not unhealthy. Check the water before putting it in your tank. Hot water puts off more vapor as well, making it "smellier," so you may want to heat it up somehow and see if it has a stronger sulphur odor. If this is the case (that the water has sulphur) you could bleach the well and that should solve the problem. Bleaching the well is a very simple task and also cleans/sterilizes the well. I assume you're filling up at a marina, so talk to them or other boaters and ask if they've had a similar problem/odor. And if it is a marina and well water, it could also be an issue of the marina needing to maintain their water treatment system for the well, most likely the water softener.

Another possible source would be a bad sacrificial anode in the water heater if it's just in the hot water. I'm not knowledgable about water heaters on a boat, but that's a common cause in household water heaters and I'd assume it's the same idea. Hope this helps.

boatz

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my boat. I was told it happened because I used purple antifreeze in my system when i winterized it last season. Appaerently that anti freeze has some sort of vegitable oil as a base to make it non toxic. That oil will cause fungal growth over time and smells like sulfer.
I was told to use a cap full of bleach to remove smell and kill mold in the tank and flush system a couple of times. It worked for me.

Hope it helps.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also had the same problem, so i add bleach every time i fill up water and have no problems now. We don't drink the water, so i add a little more than normal of bleach in there.

sluggoe

Reaction score
yup have exact same issue;

"nothing else matters" -- when u say u add a little more than a capful, what is the size of your water tank and approx how much bleach do you add (i don't drink the water either)....

--slugg

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can also buy some treatment at West Marine. If water sits too long especially in a water heater the chlorine breaks down and it stagnates. Every so often, I open everything up and flush the system with the hose overflowing the fresh water fill.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sluggoe said:
yup have exact same issue;

"nothing else matters" -- when u say u add a little more than a capful, what is the size of your water tank and approx how much bleach do you add (i don't drink the water either)....

--slugg
I have 50 gallons, or something like that, first time i had the problem i put in there 2 cups, now every fill up 1 1/2 cup.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wrobinson said:
You can also buy some treatment at West Marine. If water sits too long especially in a water heater the chlorine breaks down and it stagnates. Every so often, I open everything up and flush the system with the hose overflowing the fresh water fill.

I had use those(don't remember the brand) with no results. So i did the bleach thing. Cleans the head well too. :mrgreen:

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used to put AquaTabs in (one per 5 gallons). They worked GREAT. Nothing else I have tried worked except for bleach which is a PITA.
AquaTabs do not seem to be available any more. Bummer. :(

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Guys thank you for all of the replies. I used the bleach tchnique :lol: . And it worked I out in a cup and a half for the tank flushed it 2x and no more smell. Again thanks for everything.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Once a year I give it an agressive bleach treatment - whold quart and 5 or 6 gallons of water - I run the bleach water through the system and let it saty in the pipes for a few hours then I do a thourough rinse and re-rinse until the bleach smell is gone - takes several times but it freshens it right up.