Found (Now Bought) a Tournament 225 Pic Added

Bama96

Reaction score
All right boys going Monday to check out my new boat. Before he gets the check anything I need to really look at that is not obvious? 2006 Grady 225 Tournament with a F250 Yamaha only 86 hours. Going to sea trial her and then hook up my buddies Yamaha laptop to the motor for a check. I am fired up. I am getting a great deal on on a boat that has never been fished. Only cruised and pulled a few tubes around. 8) Can't wait to get her bloody.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
BAMA Congrats on the new boat! Hope it turns out well. Good luck.

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My wife is so sick of my boat swapping but I think I have finally found the perfect cross over boat. Family cruising and light offshore bottom fishing. She can do it all :D

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We debated between the 225 and the 228 and wound up with the 228. The 225 is a solid boat. I loved my 192 and wish I had the ability to keep the 192 and have the 228. I bet she is a great boat. Funny, I told my wife when we bought the 228, "Cant wait to get blood on the boat"....enjoy :) and post pics.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Very nice boat and the DC concept is great for fishing as well as all around day boating. It is the only design I have had for going on sixteen years.

First off, I would tell the owner not to start the engine before you get there. You want to see a cold start for yourself.

Next, I would guess that you are looking at a price in the range of the mid to high thirties if it is truly mint. For that kind of money I would have a moisture test done on the transom and might even consider a surveyor.

The computer can tell you a lot but still make sure that you compression test the engine it is the only real test of the integrity of the rings. The fact that the boat is sparsely used is an advantage in some regards and a potential liability for the engine in my opinion. If it is a salt water boat I would pull one of the thermostats to see if it was fresh water flushed on a regular basis. If yes the T-stats should be clean if not a salt lick.

Do the obvious and check out the lower unit and in particular the skeg for signs of being rebuilt and repainted. Pull the lower unit oil plug and look at the quality of the lower unit oil. And pull the dip stick look at and smell the oil. The smell test is for a burnt smell or gas if found both not good.

Make sure that you confirm the hours through the computer, I do not understand how someone buys a boat owns it for four years and only puts 85 hours on it. Check all of the engine parting lines for signs of salt deposits this is a sign of a failing gasket.

Good luck and post pics if you decide to buy it.

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks Tashmoo. Good Advice. I pulled the serial number through my dealer. He got the boat in July 06 and had no warranty claims submitted. The motor is out of warranty but I can buy a 2 year extended through Yamaha. Expensive though. About 2K. They guy dose not fish and only used the boat to cruise an pull tubes on the lake. Freshwater use mostly. He did say he used it in the bay a few times. 86 hours in 3.5 years is not much but I think it is realistic with what he used it for. Boat has been stored covered on a trailer. I doubt we will have a transom water issue on the bracket boats. Most of the wet transom boats were the ones with the metal trim piece on the top of the transom on non bracket boats. Can't wait to see her. I hope she is a cherry.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I pulled the 06 off the GW website and that is a very nice boat.
Good luck Monday and keep us posted.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Bama96 sounds like you have found a winner, a lake boat stored on a trailer with a cover, does not get much better than that. I agree with you on the transom, I did not take into account that the boat has a bracket.

I doubt seriously that this would be an issue on a GW but it is worth doing some research on. Boats that are stored on trailers for extended periods, particularly roller trailers, I have heard can develop a "Hook" in the hull. My understanding of this is that the bottom of the boat actually becomes convex. From what very little I know on the subject, apparently it has a serious effect on the handling of the boat. Again, I doubt it would be an issue on a GW and think it applies to boats with inferior construction but you might want to ask around and see if you can find someone that knows if this is real or just a marina myth.

Also make sure that the trailer rating matches or exceeds the boat weight. Sometimes people do weird things in this department.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I sure hope it turns out to be as sweet as you hope. The 225 is a KILLER boat - It can do so much more than most designs. I accept that it doesn't fish quite as well as a c.c. but it fishes pretty damn well, and it provides alot of comfort and storage that are not available on other boats. (Can you tell that we LOVE ours?)

Tashmoo has given you good advice for checking the boat out. If you decide to go for it, I would just add that a canvas mooring cover is terrific if it stays outside. Sounds like it might live in your garage which would be even better. We added a Garmin 4210 which just barely fit into the electronics box. We have been VERY pleased with it, although the Garmin touch screens are even better. I have seen some people comment that they would prefer to flush mount the chartplotter and not have the electronics box, but honestly it has been nice that the unit is always out of the weather, and I use the box for alot of other delicate stuff - ipod connection, sunglasses, etc. Only issue is that sometimes going fast through chop the smoke glass upper window panel will fall down over the face of the chartplotter....not such a big deal - you just put it back up.

I believe the bracket adds about 2'on its own - not sure how much with the motor also included, but the other posts are probably correct. Ours is at the marina now all wrapped up, or I would measure for you.

On the down side, if you keep her on a mooring, you will probably wish they had designed the scuppers about an inch higher. So far no problem, but I do consider this a fly in the ointment.

Let me know if you would like any other ranting and raving about the 225. Ours is a well-loved part of the family. Best of luck to you and yours...

Mike

(PS - I have been looking at every other dual console for several years now - both before and after we bought ours. The Grady 225 design Kicks #$% and takes names. I.M.H.O. there is nothing out there that touches it.)

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So, how'd it go? New boat on Monday and a big game on Thursday. Could be quite a week for you! Good luck.

Bama96

Reaction score
Just got home with her. She was in excellent shape! Only 86 hours on her. Just a little tailer rash on the hull. Also, the guy had her in the driveway at his house and let the sprinklers hit the trailer and motor bracket. The water has heavy iron in it and left some brown iron stains on the trailer, lower unit, and bracket. Anybody know how to get that off? Pics to come. 8)

Bama96

Reaction score
A few pictures. :D

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
beautiful boat. gw's just have such classic lines. i like the ski pylon. ron

Bama96

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried to look at other brands but could not bring myself to change. I think Grady makes the best all around boat. The guy never fished this boat. Just skied and cruised. I was thinking of adding some rod holders to the ski pylon. Make it a rod tree. :lol:

Bill_N

Reaction score
Sweet! I had an Edgewater 200DC before I bought my 265. Dual consoles are great fishing boats. Hope you can keep that one for awhile!