Found! Saltwater Sportsman Grady-White 265 Express Review

slapshot1848

Reaction score
A few days back I posted to see if anyone had a link to the October 1, 1999 Saltwater Sportsman review of the 265 Express. Since I was a young boy I have read this magazine and always appreciated the well written articles, tips and enthusiasm for saltwater anglers. As I'm sure many of you know they also do a great job of reviewing boats and gear. I finally found the article online and I figured some may find use for it here for general knowledge or maybe even to help sell their 265 (although why anyone would do that I'll never know!) Anyhow, here goes....

"The new 265 Express could be the best-looking boat Grady-White has ever built. From the classic express-boat lines to the clean transom, this boat has fishing written all over it.

Let's begin at the end - the aft end, that is. The 265's cockpit is one of the best we've seen, on a boat of any size. It boasts an incredible amount of room for a 26-footer, and you can lean against the padded engine shroud and work a fish around the back of the engines with ease. This means less cut-offs, which means more happy fishermen at the end of the day.

A Notch Above

Some of you may be asking yourselves, "What the heck is a padded engine shroud?" Grady-White went out on a limb with this boat, eschewing the ubiquitous integrated engine platform and designing a boat with a good-old conventional notched transom. It's clear that most of today's boat buyers prefer integrated transoms, which evolved from earlier brackets. These offered the obvious advantage of keeping water out of the cockpit, but were a disadvantage when you were fighting a fish around the back of the boat because the engine(s) were set so far behind the transom.

Grady-White hangs the engines on the transom of the 265 and covers them with a fiberglass, fold-down shroud, which helps keep out water and reduce noise. You can walk right up to the shroud and easily reach around the back of the engines with a fishing rod, and the pad on the shroud is right about knee level. You get lots of uncluttered cockpit, about 58 square feet, with every inch of space usable. In the transom corners, two shallow trays let you store things.

Moving forward, the raised bridgedeck contains a large 300-quart fishbox on the centerline that drains overboard, with a 40-gallon live well to port and a fresh water sink to starboard in molded boxes. These boxes double as aft-facing seats for passengers.

The centerline helm has an electronics box overhead, a footrest, and an aluminum wraparound windshield. The center helm offers good forward visibility, as well as a clear view of the cockpit. Starboard of the helm is a fore-and-aft seat with a sizable cooler underneath it. A smaller bench seat to port can accommodate additional passengers.

Roomy Cabin

With a wide 9' 7" beam, the 265 has an ample cabin, too. It picks up some additional space in the form of width because the boat is a true express design, as opposed to a walkaround. While you can get to the bow for docking, it's a narrow path, but this means that the Grady designers could devote more space to the cabin.

Down below there's a good-sized galley to port with a small stove and a refrigerator, located under the veeberth. Rod racks over the berth let you lock up at least some of your tackle. To starboard we found a surprisingly roomy head compartment with a shower. It's amazing what some companies can fit into a 26-footer.

We spent a day dolphin fishing in the Florida Keys aboard the 265, and found that it runs as good as it looks. Grady-White's own performance tests showed a cruise speed of 31.3 knots at 4000 rpm with the twin 250-hp Yamaha outboards, and wide-open they say it'll hit 44.3 knots at 5500 rpm. The 265 was designed with a very sharp entry to cut through waves, and it rode level and dry in the four-foot chop we encountered.

This should be a very popular boat with hardcore fishing types, especially those in the Northeast, where the express design is so popular. But no matter where you live, the 265 would be hard to beat, and it comes with Grady-White's usual exemplary attention to detail, fit and finish, and lengthy standard-equipment list. And once you've leaned against that padded engine shroud thing, you'll be hooked for sure."

SPECIFICATIONS
Length 25' 9"
Beam 9' 7"
Draft 15"
Max hp. 500
Fuel 248 gals.
Hull weight 5,390 lbs.
Base hull price (w/o power) $55,880

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Re: Found! Saltwater Sportsman Grady-White 265 Express Revie

I particularly like the base hull price of $55k without engines. I wonder if they brought her back today in production what she would cost new today? Too bad she has those quirky handeling characteristics. I would not mind owning one though.

Bill_N

Reaction score

SmokyMtnGrady said:
I particularly like the base hull price of $55k without engines. I wonder if they brought her back today in production what she would cost new today? Too bad she has those quirky handeling characteristics. I would not mind owning one though.

I have the receipt from 5/3/03 when my boat was purchased and the total is $140,086. Add 9 years inflation to that ...

I don't think the boat has quirky handling. If you're moving from a single engine mod vee boat then it takes a few trips to get used to. If you've run a deep vee with twins before, then it's no big deal.

Bill

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score

I have never been on one, but several folks at two different Grady dealers said she handled quirky in a following sea. I more or less took their word for it.

Boat Hound

Reaction score

I have heard a couple people say that the 265 can be quirky...3 years into mine, just have not seen it. As a matter of fact had not heard that at all until last year. That hull still amazes me running straight as an arrow, hands of the wheel @ 25kts in 2-3's.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Boathound- I'm with you- the boat is not "quirky". It handles like many other deep vees of this size. My last boat was a 26' Black Watch with a very similar hull design- Ray Hunt for both. The 265 handles just like the BW, which is solid and predictable.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
2 models I wish Grady never changed was the 265 express and 25 and 27 Sailfish prior to the euro transom designs. The layouts are outstanding and access to anything under decks is very easy!
I really like the layout in the 265 helm area but ended up first finding a 25 Sailfish in great shape and went for it! Absolutely NO REGRETS! All my dreams for all these years came into reality when I first took her out! :lol:

yft52

Reaction score

I've owned my 265 Express since last fall hein So Cal ... Great handling boat in all sea conditions so far ... I haven't experienced the "tendernence" people describe with trim and or tabs ... All is good ... My boat is a 2001 Express 265 with twin OX66 225's ... Lots a power ... Good handling ... Nice boat!

slapshot1848

Reaction score

Hopefully ours which we've named "Wahoo" will be in the water by Saturday as long as the weather holds up. Docks are finally in here in Ohio and I am ready to get out on the lake and tear it up!!!

GMac

Reaction score

I have a 2000 265 Express purchased new. I agree that fishing the stern with the "old fashion" transom is easy. I also love the looks of the boat. But - I believe it is what I call "squirrely" in a 2-3 or more ft sea coming in aft the beam. There are times when I have had to tack the boat inorder to get a comfortable ride. When you are 50 miles off shore that is a pain in the neck ride home. Also, I have to tell my crew to pick a spot and stay there for the ride, otherwise I'm always on the trim tabs. Into a head sea, it is fabulous. My other complaint is the fore and aft seating in the helm area. In any rough sea it is hang on time for the crew, with nothing to hang on to. Does anyone else have this complaint and have they found a solution to make the ride more comfortable? I do believe that Grady put a vertical seat back at the end of the fore and aft seats on later models, although I have never seen it.

Steds83

Reaction score

GMac - I agree with all your comments. Crew needs to stay seated but in most positions there is nothing to hold on to! I've thought about adding some tubing at the aft end of the benches but you run into clearance issues with the compartments under seats.

Has anyone installed or experienced with the 265 and the Bennett Auto-Tab Control system? It sounds like it might help but I don't want to waste $'s on something that won't make a real difference.

Final question - has anyone successfully put the rear bilge cover on hinges? That's a lot of caulking to do every time you need to get under there.

I love the 265 layout - mostly fish with just enough comforts!

tilewave

Reaction score

i agree with gmac too...easy way to solve this is bring 1 or 2 deck chairs with you. if its rough beyond that, standing is the best/most comfortable way to run in those conditions anyway .