Four stroke engine power in reverse

MFP

Reaction score
The Yamaha 225 four stroke seems to lack power in reverse and is difficult to easily manage in a single engine configuration. Any suggestions on what I should do and why I seem to have a problem? Forward acceleration is fine.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have you tried tilting the engine up a bit more before the reverse operations?

Seems to work better.

Sean O'Grady

Reaction score
The engine has the same amount of power in forward or reverse. The prop however is designed to optimize forward travel, not reverse travel.
As stated about, it's important to raise the motor to at least the vertical position to get the best efficiency out of the prop in reverse, and even more so if the motor is hung on a bracket.

MFP

Reaction score
The motor is mounted on the transom of a GW 222 Fisherman. There seems to be very little power or movement in reverse even when I tilted the motor as I did yesterday. As I continue to increase the throttle speed, the power causes the motor to lurch in reverse. I tried practicing in open water and get same result as in close water in marina. Any suggestions on how I can get slow consistent power to the prop will be most appreciated.

MFP

Reaction score
As throttle speed is increased, all of a sudden the power in the motor increases at a much greater than expected speed, sound of motor and propeller increases and the boat jumps back very quickly. I then reduce throttle and have no powered movement again.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's normal, don't expect same throttle response as going forward. You have to move the lever slowly if you don't want it to go too fast, or jog it in and out of the lurch as you call it ,when backing down.

There's also nothing wrong with the lurch as you call it to get speed, if that's what you are after.

If you are going forward and want to back up, you realize you have to stop the boat first, so go ahead and lurch it. When I stop my boat at the dock so do I, especially with wind from the stern filling the sail created by the full canvas.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Move your hand further down the lever closer to the binnacle base will give you better control at the throttle for small increments, instead of keeping it at the handle on the end.

And you may need to adjust the friction setting at the binnacle, it may be too easy or too tight, check the Yamaha owners manual for instructions, if you don't have an owners manual for your motor go to Yamaha website, the entire manual is there and can be viewed at no cost.

Good luck!